Dell Laptop overheats and shuts down

Laptop

Laptop
Laptop computer Forums (Audio, General Hardware, Video)

Dell Laptop overheats and shuts down

This question is not answered

Hi I'm wondering if its normal for my laptop to be overheating and shut down? These are my specs:

Dell Inspiron 15R
Intel Core i7-2670QM Processor 
8 GB Memory
1 TB Hard Drive
1 GB NVIDIA GeForce GT 525M

I play this game called Team Fortress 2 and have installed configurations to make the game look pretty awful for performance reasons. However, my laptop still overheats. My fan is working for sure because I can hear it and its blowing a lot of hot air out from the vent. Also I give my laptop plenty of ventilation (I have a hardwood table and I even put sticky note stacks under my laptop so there would be room for air). I know it only happens with games because every other time I'm on my laptop when I'm not playing a graphically intense game, it's fine.

I talked to someone at Dell before and I updated my BIOS and video card drivers but it still didn't solve the problem.

So from here I have a couple of questions:

1) Is it normal for my laptop to be overheating with these specs? I felt that the video card and processor would be strong enough that heating wouldn't be an issue at all especially considering I have my graphics super low. Then again idk much when it comes to hardware. 

2) If it is a heating problem, the only last possible thing that could be causing the overheating, I think, is dust but even there I'm a little skeptical because I bought this laptop like 2 months ago and am surprised it would already have a dust issue. Do you think it's still possible?

3) I might go buy some compressed air but I am also curious to see what's happening inside my laptop. Maybe there's something blocking ventilation? However, I do still have a warranty on my laptop and I don't want to void it. Will my warranty get voided if I open my laptop?  

4) Has my laptop suffered permanent damage because it has been crashing from overheating? Am I frying my graphics card? I just want to know so I can be careful more.

5) Is there any other reasons that could be causing this overheating problem? I guess it sometimes gets hot in my room because I live in Cali but we turn on the A/C and my room feels ridiculously cold. Even then it sometimes overheats.

Thanks for all the help you guys can give!

All Replies
  • Hi,

Welcome to the Community. It looks to be normal, as the system works fine, when your not running this game. However I suggest you follow the below link.

support.dell.com/.../document

Thank you.

• I took a look at the link provided and I did a hardware diagnostics test and it said my video card was fine but it was testing my integrated graphics card rather than the discrete. How do I do a hardware diagnostics on my discrete card? Also I have looked at the other two options and if you read my post carefully I mentioned I have taken those things into consideration.

Furthermore, a lot of my other questions mentioned were not answered.

• Press the F12 key at the Dell Logo, select Diagnostics, Click on custom test, and run a diagnostics on your video card. Its all just one issue overheating, so if you get that sorted out, all will fall in place.

Thank you