DELL Vostro 1540 beeps 8 times

Laptop

Laptop
Laptop computer Hardware and Software discussion

DELL Vostro 1540 beeps 8 times

This question is answered

hallo,

i have a dell Vostro 1540  that when powered it beeps 8 times and doesn't display. i have tested the Rams on another laptop and they are working fine.

Kindly advice on what could be the problem on this unit.

Thanks and regards,

geoff.

Verified Answer
  • Hi Gmuli,

Welcome to the Community,

Beeps codes can be used as diagnostics indicators.On your system model 8 beeps indicates LCD failure.So you need to get the LCD replaced.

Is your system within warranty?

Let me know if you need information on repair options.

Thank You

Dell | Social Media Outreach | Global Social Media & Community

• Hi,

Thanks alot i got the screen replaced and the laptop is working fine.

I have another laptop vostro 1540 that beeps 7 times. when powered on and no display. what could be the problem?

Regards,

Geoff.

• Hi Roshan

I managed to use another motherboard from the same model and confirmed that the problem was the motherboard. Thank you for the assistance.

Regards,

Geoff.

All Replies
  • Hi Gmuli,

Welcome to the Community,

Beeps codes can be used as diagnostics indicators.On your system model 8 beeps indicates LCD failure.So you need to get the LCD replaced.

Is your system within warranty?

Let me know if you need information on repair options.

Thank You

• Hi,

Thanks alot i got the screen replaced and the laptop is working fine.

I have another laptop vostro 1540 that beeps 7 times. when powered on and no display. what could be the problem?

Regards,

Geoff.

• Hi Gmuli,

Glad it worked after replacing the LCD.

Regarding the 7 beeps,it indicates Processor failure.But just replacing the processor may not help.90 % of the times you end up replacing the whole motherboard.

• Hi Roshan

I managed to use another motherboard from the same model and confirmed that the problem was the motherboard. Thank you for the assistance.

Regards,

Geoff.

• I have already replaced the LCD and the laptop is still black and it still beeps 8 times upon bootup.  When connected to an external screen it works just fine.  Please advise.  Thank you.

• Hi  jessreyes,

If replacing LCD panel did not help,it may be an issue with the LCD cable or the LCD cable connector port on the system board.Cheaper option would be to replace the LCD cable and check if it helps to fix the issue.

Let me know if you need further assistance.