CMOS Reserve Battery on Inspiron 600M

Laptop

Laptop
Laptop computer Forums (Audio, General Hardware, Video)

CMOS Reserve Battery on Inspiron 600M

This question is answered

As noted it's an old 600M Inspiron that stopped working about 2 yrs ago when I turned it on and after a few seconds the screen turned orange and shut down.  A few months later I hooked it up to an external monitor and nothing.  I mean when I power on the green light turns on and shuts down after 9 seconds.  The battery is good but I replaced it anyway but still the same problem.  After sitting on a bookshelf for 6 months, a friend turned it on and had it working for about 90 min.  I was not there.  He suggested unplugging and replugging the cmos or reserve battery found in the side of the main battery compartment.

It was tough to get out and I broke the tiny white plug (wired to the 3 small round batteries wrapped in plastic) in the process.  I ordered a new reserve battery on ebay for $2.99.  I could not get the plug all the way into the socket.  It's a tight fit so using pliers I squeezed it in. 

Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Verified Answer
  • Even a dead CMOS battery won't prevent power up.  Reseat both memory modules (remove and reinstall), after disconnecting the system from AC power and removing the battery - hold the power button for 30 seconds.  

If that doesn't get the system going, replace the system board.

All Replies
  • Even a dead CMOS battery won't prevent power up.  Reseat both memory modules (remove and reinstall), after disconnecting the system from AC power and removing the battery - hold the power button for 30 seconds.  

If that doesn't get the system going, replace the system board.

• Thanks ejn63.  Do I have to remove the keyboard or bottom of the laptop to get access to the board?

• Everything inside goes in from the top.

support.dell.com/.../index.htm

• Never mind, I just found out how to get to the board.  Thanks again for your help.  I may not get to it for a few days but when I do I'll let you know how I made out.

• Ok, but the directions show only removing the 1 cover on the bottom to get to the memory module.

• That's all you need to do to reseat the memory - but that's a longshot.  It's far more likely the system board is faulty.

• Thanks ejn.  You're right it was a long shot.  I reseated the two modules but the pc still does not turn on.  I'm not sure it's worth a new mother board but I do appreciate your help.