Insiprion 6000, no boot sector available

Laptop

Laptop
Laptop computer Forums (Audio, General Hardware, Video)

Insiprion 6000, no boot sector available

This question is not answered

Here in Va we had some bad power outages and it looks like my dell laptop was shut down in properly when we lost power.  Now when I try to start up it gives me the "No Boot sector available on Internal Hard Drive" message.  I looked at my old software folders and I have a product key for Windows XP Home but no cd.  I actually don't even know if I received a cd because i have program cds literally for every software I've ever owned but this one and with me getting the laptop in 2006 and never needing it until now I cant recall if I actually ever had one.

I really wasn't trying to lose my Itunes folder with it being so old and having so much music on it I was just trying to get it to boot one more time so I can transfer the folders to an external hard drive until I pick up a new laptop.  Any suggestions on how to repair the laptop to the point it boots up and finds the operating system without a disc?

All Replies
  • Chances are the hard drive is toast - press F12 at powerup and run an extended diagnostic on the drive.

If the drive fails the diagnostic, you'll need a new, 2.5" 9.5 mm EIDE (NOT SATA) notebook drive.  If you install a drive over 120G in size, you will need to partition it such that Windows is installed below the 120 G barrier.

You can order a Windows CD here:

support.dell.com/.../backupcd_form