Restoring my Dell Studio XPS to factory settings without administrator's password

Laptop

Laptop
Laptop computer Hardware and Software discussion

Restoring my Dell Studio XPS to factory settings without administrator's password

This question is not answered

Hello,

I recently got a yucky virus on my Dell Studio XPS. My computer continually freezes.  I did check my memory, and I still have plenty. I know how to restore to factory settings but I forgot my administrator password, so I can only go up to that point.  I do have the disks that came with the laptop somewhere buried deep in my linen closet.  Can I somehow go around the password dilemma?  Do I need to put the disks back in?  I did out the files I wanted onto a flash drive.

Thank you so muchSmile

Sudhara

All Replies
  • You should be able to start the system recovery by pressing F8 before Windows begins loading.

• Pressing F8 does take me to the system recovery screen, but it still asks for a password, which I have forgotten.  What can I do?

• Not much - you will need to do a manual reload (first link, step 4)

support.dell.com/.../hdd.htm

If you need the windows disc, see the second link.

support.dell.com/.../backupcd_form

• Thanks for your help. However, I was able to go around the password dilemma by just hitting enter at the password section.  My computer has not been successfully restored to factory settings. Yay!  I appreciate the effort.