Dell XPS 17 (L702X) Vertical white lines on screen problem

Laptop

Laptop
Laptop computer Hardware and Software discussion

Dell XPS 17 (L702X) Vertical white lines on screen problem

This question is answered

Hello everybody,

I purchased a Dell XPS 17 Laptop ( 3d 1080p screen, Gt 555m , i7-2670 QM )back in may this year.Everything went fine when a week ago there was this strange issue with the screen of my laptop.
When i first start the laptop up, everything seems fine.But after a couple of minutes white lines (which are horizontal) start comming onto my screen.

To give you some kind of physical interpetation:

• The white lines appear for a couple of miliseconds
  • The lines vary between 1*1 to 1*600 pixels horizontal
  • When the laptop start heating up during gaming the amount of white lines start to increase dramatically
  • The lines seem to center around 3d-applications ( i.e the intel turbo boost monitor)

I tried to locate the problem by doing the following:

1. Hooking the laptop up to a tv-screen. No lines on the Tv whatsoever.
  2. Installing different graphics drivers. No difference
  3. By running the built-in diagnostic program ( the one where you press the Fn key during start up). No issues found

I have to say that i'm completly baffled by this problem my laptop is having.Therefore, I hope that somebody in this forums might have a possible solution to my problem.Any help would be appreciated.
Ps.Please excuse my grammar and spelling mistakes
PLEASE TAKE NOTE THAT I'M FROM THE NETHERLANDS
Best regards,
Robin. 
Verified Answer
  • Hi Robin Arts,

Welcome to the Community,

It sounds like an issue with the LCD screen.If the display on the TV screen is fine without those horizontal lines,the GPU and the drivers for it should not be the problem.

However to check further try LCD BIST(built in self test).press and hold down letter "D" while holding it down,press the power button to turn on the system.Ideally it should bring up some colored screens.

Confirm if you see that horizontal lines on those colored screens.

Thank You

Dell | Social Media Outreach | Global Social Media & Community

All Replies
  • Hi Robin Arts,

Welcome to the Community,

It sounds like an issue with the LCD screen.If the display on the TV screen is fine without those horizontal lines,the GPU and the drivers for it should not be the problem.

However to check further try LCD BIST(built in self test).press and hold down letter "D" while holding it down,press the power button to turn on the system.Ideally it should bring up some colored screens.

Confirm if you see that horizontal lines on those colored screens.

Thank You

Dell | Social Media Outreach | Global Social Media & Community

• To Roshan,

I checked the screen with the built in self test you provided me.There are no horizontal lines during the self test but quickly after the self test (when the dell bios is loading up) the lines start to appear again.

The strangest part still is, that there are far less lines during low temps then during high temps.

Thanks in advance,

Robin

• I called a local meganic and they replaced my LCD-screen.

Thanks for the help.