Webcam reconnects when lid is half closed, but not if Skype is running,

Laptop

Laptop
Laptop computer Hardware and Software discussion

Webcam reconnects when lid is half closed, but not if Skype is running,

This question is not answered

Hi everyone,

I have some strange problem with my webcam in Vostro 3750. Laptop has only few weeks. During I close the lid, when it is half-closed, USB remove sound occurs. In device manager I catched that webcam disappears for moment but  then appears again soon. Anyway, when Skype is running (only Skype, not necessary to start video conversation) the problem doesn't occurs (no usb-remove sound and webcam is on device manager list all the time). Does anyone had similar problem? What could causes that? I will be very grateful for any information, I hope that won't be hardware issue but only software/OS.

Best regards.

All Replies
  • Hi

Welcome to Community

We can try following steps to resolve the issue.

First thing which we need to choose, you can click on Start Button and then go to control panel and then select power option. There will be two options you will see

START>CTRL PANEL>POWER OPTIONS

1: While closing the lid we need to select this option: Never

2: There will be power Management option: Never

Next steps we need to check by going to device manager, we need to check the drive for Webcam is installed properly or not. We need to ensure that there is no red Sign and also there is no Yellow Bang on webcam icon.

If this is one of the conditions we need to reinstall the drivers for webcam.

If this doesn’t fix the issue we need to Uninstall Skype and then we need to check if the same issue happens or not. If the same issue happens it’s the issue with the webcam drivers otherwise its issue with the Skype and by reinstalling it’ll solve the problem.

Regards

Dell Kaushal P

Dell | Social Media Outreach | Global Social Media & Community

• RobertZur,

Try reading...

Troubleshooting the Dell Webcam and Dell Webcam Central Software

Also try running the Webcam Diagnostics

Did the webcam show in the symptom tree?

Any error messages?

Is the computer under warranty?

Rick

#DellRockStar

What is a Dell Service Tag and how do I locate it? 

Original poster, If you have solved your problem, can you please mark the correct thread(s) with your solution. Thanks 

Welcome to Dell Community!

• Hi guys!

Thanks for your answers I am very grateful!

Webcam wasn't showed in the symptom tree and there weren't any errors. But currently situation is little bit different - I touch the lid near webcam and since that problem isn't  occurs. But I am not sure that isn't a hardware issue. I will watch for that.

Laptop is under warranty for next three years without few days - I bought it one week ago.

Best regards and thanks for your replies!

• RobertZur,

Webcam not showing in the symptom tree, means the webcam became detached from the motherboard. Most become detached at the top of the screen. Sounds like you description may be different.

Contact Dell Tech Support to get the webcam repaired/replaced.

Rick

#DellRockStar

What is a Dell Service Tag and how do I locate it? 

Original poster, If you have solved your problem, can you please mark the correct thread(s) with your solution. Thanks 

Welcome to Dell Community!