Dell Vostro 1000 Processor Compatibility

Laptop

Laptop
Laptop computer Forums (Audio, General Hardware, Video)

Dell Vostro 1000 Processor Compatibility

This question is not answered

Hello,

I am trying to upgrade my girlfriends computer a bit and would like to swap out her CPU and RAM. She currently has the MD Athlon X2 TK-57 1.9GHz Dual Core. Its a socket S1 processor and it scores 924 on a benchmark. I have also found the following CPU's that have the same S1 Socket and am wonder which/if any will work for this computer? The MOBO is a OPM854

Processor                                 Benchmark

AMD Athlon II P340                  1302
AMD Athlon II P360                  1347
AMD Turion II P520                  1405
AMD Turion Ultra M600           1484
AMD Phenom P650                 1630
AMD Phenom II N660              1833

As you can see the Phenom II N660 will nearly double it IF-F it is compatible.

Does anybody have any insight on this?

All Replies
  • The fastest CPU for the Vostro 1000 is a Turion 64 X2 TL-68. It is very expensive (mine was over $100) and will generate enough heat to shut down the machine if it's not installed properly. MY recommendation is a TL-64 or 66, which you should be able to obtain for under $40. You will need to make sure the heatsink is surgically clean, and you'll need a good quality thermal paste (not the white stuff). You will also need a nine cell battery, as the faster Socket S1 Turions eat power like it's candy.

I went from a Sempron 3600 to a TL-58 then a TL-68 in this machine. When I had the TL-68 in my Inspiron 1501, I thought the TL-68 was bad because it constantly overheated. This time around, though, I used silver thermal compound not only between the CPU and heatsink, I also used it in several places where the computer's metal frame has sections that touch. As a result, the bottom of the computer is a tad warmer, but the temp runs anywhere from 90 to 130 degrees.

I'm running  4GB of  RAM. It's either Hynix or Micron, I can't remember which. Windows XP 32 bit can only use 2.6 GB of it, but the two modules are matched.

The other thing I did to this Vostro 1000 was install an SSD. It doesn't help when running graphics intense applications, but for everyday computing it provides a dramatic performance increase.