Processor Failure

Laptop

Laptop
Laptop computer Forums (Audio, General Hardware, Video)

Processor Failure

This question is not answered

Hi,

Recently my Inspiron M5010 wouldn't boot and gave me 7 beeps. And 7 beeps is processor failure, so I replaced the processor with a new AMD processor, the same model as it were before, and i tried without thermal paste because i didn't have any at home right now. And the computer still won't boot, the screen is still black and it beeps 7 times. Could this be because there is no thermal paste or what else could it be? 

I happy for any help I can get.

Sincerely Dennis

All Replies
  • I would NOT advise running the CPU without the thermal paste no,but it should not stop it from just the boot up?Are you sure the CPU is socketed correctly? Are any pins bent? Did you tighten the cam socket screw? By the way when checking on this i would advise getting some thermal paste and putting it on the CPU before you put it back in.

E1705 T7400 2.16Ghz / Vista Home Premium SP2 / 17" LG WUXGA 1920 X 1200 / 4GB 667Mhz Geil Ram w/Heatspreaders / Western Digital Scorpio Black 500GB 7200RPM / 500GB 7200RPM My Book / Nvidia Geforce Go 7900GS 256MB / Toshiba DVD/CD+/-RW DL / Intel 4965 A/B/G/N / 355 Bluetooth 2.0+EDR / Pinnacle Pro HDTV USB Tuner / Pinnacle Ultimate HDTV USB Tuner / Sound Blaster Audigy Advanced MB / Sound Blaster X-Fi Extreme Audio Notebook / Logitech G51 Surround Sound Speakers / 2-NB-MA01 Notebook Coolers / 3D Mark06 5446 / Driver v.174.31 /

XPS M1730 Saphire Blue X9000 @ 3.2 / Vista Home Premium SP2 / 17" WUXGA 1920 x 1200 / Matshita BD\DVD Combo / 8GB 800Mhz Geil RAM / 500GB>200GB 7200RPM / 9800M GTX SLI / AGEIA PhysX Accelerator / Intel 4965 / 355 Bluetooth / 5700 Mobile Broadband / 3D Mark06 16250 /Driver 275.50 beta

XPS Gen 4 Desktop>being rebuilt

• No, since i had no thermal paste at home i just wanted to try if it would work since the last time i tried to start the computer it just kept beeping. So i tried once, i cleaned the fan, checked the CPU i socket several times, and the cam socket screw is tightened, and none of the pins are bent. Im going to get some thermal paste tomorrow but i still can't figure out why it won't start. It keeps beeping 7 times when i try to start the computer... Cant understand why, i mean even if i haven't put any thermal paste on the cpu i think it still would start then maybe die after a couple of seconds due to overheating or something, but it keeps giving me a black screen and just 7 beeps... :/ So i'm gonna get some thermal paste tomorrow and see what happens, do you have any other ideas why it won't start? Thanks by the way