Cannot restore to factory settings....Help!

Laptop

Laptop
Laptop computer Forums (Audio, General Hardware, Video)

Cannot restore to factory settings....Help!

This question is not answered

Hey all,

I am trying to restore my Dell Studio 1536 back to factory settings.

I hit f8 on startup, but I dont get an option to "repair your computer".  I just get all the startup options.

Im sorry if this is a very basic question, but Im haveing a hard time.  help me out please.

If u need any more info, please let me know.

Thanks for any and all help.

All Replies
  • http://www.goodells.net/dellrestore/

my Dells:
    Precision M6300 - XP SP3 / Windows 7 / Ubuntu 12.04
    Latitude D620 - XP Pro SP3
    Precision M6300 - Windows 7

• Hi,

Welcome to the Community. Try restoring using the Windows Disc. You will need to boot of the windows disc, so put in the disc, turn on the computer, and press the F12 key at the Dell Logo, select CD/DVD and press enter, press any key to boot from cd. Once it comes up to the Install Now screen, do not click on Install Now, click on repair my computer, at the bottom right, sign on using your user name, to access the recovery option, and Dell factory restore.

Note, if you have formatted the entire hard drive or the recovery partition in the past, then you have lost the ability to restore your computer back to factory settings. Then then only option is to manually reinstall windows, you can use the below link for help.

support.dell.com/.../document

Thank you

Royan

• Thanks Royan,

That was helpful.  I got to the install/repair page finally.  Thanks for the instruction on how to get there.  

I cannot repair as I have already retored to factory settings once before.  I was unaware that it was a one time thing.

I followed the instructions on how to reinstall per your link, but it leads me back to the initial issue....product activation key.  It will not accept the code I enter.  Looks like Im stuck in a sort of vicious cycle.

I think I will just chalk this one up to a loss and bite the bullet and get a new laptop.  Ive had this one for over 3 years now anyways, so an upgrade might be a good thing.

Thanks for the help!

• If you have the Dell Reinstallation DVD then you should not be prompted for a product key.

If you have the 25 digit product key on the COA (maybe under your battery) you may use retail media and phone activation.

See my wiki here for instructions, 

Philip Yip

Windows Reinstallation Guide and Related Wikies See here for other wikies such as Customising and Using Windows 8.1, Dell Wireless Cards and Unofficial Drivers.