Dell XPS M1730

Laptop

Laptop
Laptop computer Forums (Audio, General Hardware, Video)

Dell XPS M1730

This question is not answered

I've just booted up my "little" machine after not using it for quite some time and it seems to be going slower than usual. At first I thought it was because I haven't used a machine without at least a quad core for about a year but it really started niggling at me. So I looked into overclocking the CPU. It turns out with this laptop Dell incorporated the overclocking of this machine in the bios but after looking in the performance menu the option is no longer there. I do remember seeing it a some point seen i've had the machine but i never bothered with it as back then i didn't know what overclocking was. Now it turns out my machine is clocking at 1.8GHz and thats not enough for my needs. The problem is I dont have the option to overclock through the bios anymore. As anyone had this problem and resolved it or heard about it and know what i can do about this? After finding i'm only processing at 1.8GHz i can't stand using the machine at the moment.

Any help or advise would be appreciated. Thanks in advance. (I know this is an old machine)

All Replies
  • OverclockMe

Over clocking is not available with all XPS M1730 notebooks.  It is dependent on the model of processor that was ordered with the notebook.  The processor will need to have the X prefix on the model, so for example an XPS M1730 ordered with a X7800 processor can be over clocked while an XPS M1730 that shipped with a T7700 processor will not be able to be over clocked.  

1.8ghz does seem a little slow for the processor though, what is telling you that the processor is running at this speed?

TB

(Liaison for Laptops, Mobile Devices)
    Look for me on Twitter and LinkedIn.
    #iwork4Dell
    Would you like to be a Dell Community Rockstar?

• The Bios tells me the clock speed is 1.80GHz. I thought this was because it was idle or something to i did a CPU-Z test while running a high spec MMO in the background but  it still showed the same 1.8GHz. The Bios claims the max speed of my processor is 2.4GHz and my systems says i'm running a 2.4GHz dual core processor. I'm just really mift as i have a 1.8GHz none gaming laptop already so why did i spend £1500 all that time ago

• OverclockME

If you don't mind, shoot me a private message, just click on the link in my signature.   Please include the service tag of the notebook and your name and I can verify if your notebook should have the option to overclock it or not.

TB

(Liaison for Laptops, Mobile Devices)
    Look for me on Twitter and LinkedIn.
    #iwork4Dell
    Would you like to be a Dell Community Rockstar?