BIOS Admin Password on XPS 16

Laptop

Laptop
Laptop computer Forums (Audio, General Hardware, Video)

BIOS Admin Password on XPS 16

This question is answered

When I first got my XPS 16 laptop I set BIOS passwords for user and admin. Today I changed these passwords to blank (null password) and saved the configuration. The BIOS then did not recognize any password I entered. It was necessary for me to remove the coin battery to restore the BIOS defaults. The user password has now been reset to blank (no password is requested).

However, the admin password is still not reset, so I cannot access BIOS settings. The Dell support topic "How to Clear the BIOS Password - KB Article - 184659" says that there is a PSWD jumper that can be pulled, but I can't find it. I would appreciate any suggestions on how to reset the admin password.

Thanks

Verified Answer
  • Hi,

Welcome to the community

If you need assistance in BIOS Password reset accept my friend request and send me the service tag and contact name via private message only.

Regards,

Dell | Social Media Outreach | Global Social Media & Community

• Hello,

Thanks for the response. When I enter either the previous or new (null) password, the service tag that comes up is <<ADMIN NOTE:service tag removed per privacy policy~RK>>

Michael Thomas

<ADMIN NOTE :Email id removed per privacy policy>

All Replies
  • Modern laptop BIOS is written to an IC which will remember the settings and there is not way to clear it short of contacting Dell, proving ownership, and paying $ for the password removal.

my Dells:
    Precision M6300 - XP SP3 / Windows 7 / Ubuntu 12.04
    Latitude D620 - XP Pro SP3
    Precision M6300 - Windows 7

• There is no jumper.  You will need to call Dell, verify ownership of the system.  They'll help you remove the password.

If the system is out of warranty, a standard support-call charge applies.

• Hi,

Welcome to the community

If you need assistance in BIOS Password reset accept my friend request and send me the service tag and contact name via private message only.

Regards,

Dell | Social Media Outreach | Global Social Media & Community

• Hello,

Thanks for the response. When I enter either the previous or new (null) password, the service tag that comes up is <<ADMIN NOTE:service tag removed per privacy policy~RK>>

Michael Thomas

<ADMIN NOTE :Email id removed per privacy policy>

• Hi,

I have the same problem, could you help me to reset my password ?

Regards,