1TB becomes much less?!?! - Inspiron 15R N5110

Laptop

Laptop
Laptop computer Hardware and Software discussion

1TB becomes much less?!?! - Inspiron 15R N5110

This question is not answered

Hi All,

Just bought an Inspiron 15R N5110 laptop which was supposed to have 1TB of Hard Drive (it has i7 processor with 8GB RAM).  But when I activated it, it only has 916GB of Hard Drive space available in total!!  (including the partition for back-up and pre-installed Office suite...etc.)

Is that normal?!?  I've read on some on-line forum that retailers tend to use a base-10 measurement (e.g. 1000MB = 1GB, 1000GB = 1TB) but space is actually base-2, so some disk-spaces are "lost" with this conversion.  But this shouldn't be a 84GB difference should it???  I mean, I've still got an old desk-top computer with only 80GB Hard Drive space in total!

Have I been ripped-off???  If someone could enlighten me, that'd be great.

Thanks!

All Replies
  • It is normal - all  hard drive makers quote gigs in decimal;  the OS counts in binary.  That means you get 93% of the stated capacity (or about 930 GBytes for a 1000G drive).

There are a couple of hidden partitions on the drive that contain the recovery and diagnostic software - those total about 14G so you have what you see, free.

• In support of  "ejn63" a simple calculation.I am not a mathematician so recalculate if in doubt.Just got curious and wanted to know it myself.....

• This is completely normal, my 1TB is 927GB. You lose less on smaller hard drives because it is a percentage loss. For example a 100GB drive would be about 91-93GB.

Hope that clarifies things

Wade