Stolen Laptop; Need to find serial number

Laptop

Laptop
Laptop computer Forums (Audio, General Hardware, Video)

Stolen Laptop; Need to find serial number

This question is not answered

My laptop was recently stolen out of my car and the police need the serial number to help maybe locate the laptop, but I don't know the serial number. I have the service tag number and the express service code. Is there anyway to get the actual serial number?

All Replies
  • Could it be on your Bill/Receipt of purchase?

• i've looked and its not on there

• Did you get any service Booklet with your laptop? That's the only other place I can think of.

• i might have but i don't know. i bought the laptop 3 years ago and would have no idea where any of the books for it would be

• Hi,

Welcome to the Community. There is no serial number on a Dell Computer. Dell systems go by the Service tag and the Express service code. You will need to give them the Service Tag of the computer.

Thank you

Royan

• justcaitie09,

The service tag number is the serial number. Once reported to police and you have a case number, then Dell Report a Stolen System

If the computer had LoJack installed, LoJack Report a Theft

Rick

#DellRockStar

What is a Dell Service Tag and how do I locate it? 

Original poster, If you have solved your problem, can you please mark the correct thread(s) with your solution. Thanks 

Welcome to Dell Community!

• i lost my dell laptop but i have no service tag but i have book let only how to find and track it

• Hi laxmankg,

Sorry about the situation. Do you have the order number or the invoice copy of the laptop?

Thanks and Regards
    Harish M
    #iworkfordell

To learn more about Dell Products, Services, and Drivers, click Here
  • Hi Harish,

Today My Dell laptop was stolen and the cops are asking for the serial number

I bought this laptop in Dec 2010. I do have the order number. Can you help me getting the serial number ?

• Hi MJB123,

Welcome to the Community,

Sorry to hear about your loss.

Please private message me your system Order number, along with the registered full name or address or phone number.

I will check your system details  and get back to you with the serial number.

Thank You

Dell | Social Media Outreach | Global Social Media & Community

• Hi Roshan,

I have PMed you the details. thanks for your help

• Hi MJB123,

I've replied to your private message.

Thank You

Dell | Social Media Outreach | Global Social Media & Community

• Thanks Roshan,

I have also replied to your message

• justcaitie09

My laptop was recently stolen out of my car and the police need the serial number to help maybe locate the laptop, but I don't know the serial number. I have the service tag number and the express service code. Is there anyway to get the actual serial number?

• The service tag number IS the serial number.