Stolen Laptop; Need to find serial number

Laptop

Laptop
Laptop computer Forums (Audio, General Hardware, Video)

Stolen Laptop; Need to find serial number

This question has been answered by RockSt☆r-Rick K

My laptop was recently stolen out of my car and the police need the serial number to help maybe locate the laptop, but I don't know the serial number. I have the service tag number and the express service code. Is there anyway to get the actual serial number?

Verified Answer
  • Hi,

Welcome to the Community. There is no serial number on a Dell Computer. Dell systems go by the Service tag and the Express service code. You will need to give them the Service Tag of the computer.

Thank you

Royan

• justcaitie09,

The service tag number is the serial number. Once reported to police and you have a case number, then

If the computer had LoJack installed, LoJack Report a Theft

Rick

#DellRockStar

What is a Dell Service Tag and how do I locate it? 

Original poster, If you have solved your problem, can you please mark the correct thread(s) with your solution. Thanks 

Welcome to Dell Community!

Microsoft MVP - Windows Expert-Consumer April 1, 2012 to March 31, 2015

All Replies
  • Could it be on your Bill/Receipt of purchase?

• i've looked and its not on there

• Did you get any service Booklet with your laptop? That's the only other place I can think of.

• i might have but i don't know. i bought the laptop 3 years ago and would have no idea where any of the books for it would be

• Hi,

Welcome to the Community. There is no serial number on a Dell Computer. Dell systems go by the Service tag and the Express service code. You will need to give them the Service Tag of the computer.

Thank you

Royan

• justcaitie09,

The service tag number is the serial number. Once reported to police and you have a case number, then

If the computer had LoJack installed, LoJack Report a Theft

Rick

#DellRockStar

What is a Dell Service Tag and how do I locate it? 

Original poster, If you have solved your problem, can you please mark the correct thread(s) with your solution. Thanks 

Welcome to Dell Community!

Microsoft MVP - Windows Expert-Consumer April 1, 2012 to March 31, 2015

• i lost my dell laptop but i have no service tag but i have book let only how to find and track it

• Hi laxmankg,

Sorry about the situation. Do you have the order number or the invoice copy of the laptop?

Thanks and Regards
    Harish M
    #iworkfordell

To learn more about Dell Products, Services, and Drivers, click Here
  • Hi Harish,

Today My Dell laptop was stolen and the cops are asking for the serial number

I bought this laptop in Dec 2010. I do have the order number. Can you help me getting the serial number ?

• Hi MJB123,

Welcome to the Community,

Sorry to hear about your loss.

Please private message me your system Order number, along with the registered full name or address or phone number.

I will check your system details  and get back to you with the serial number.

Thank You

Dell | Social Media Outreach | Global Social Media & Community

• Hi Roshan,

I have PMed you the details. thanks for your help

• Hi MJB123,

I've replied to your private message.

Thank You

Dell | Social Media Outreach | Global Social Media & Community

• Thanks Roshan,

I have also replied to your message

• justcaitie09

My laptop was recently stolen out of my car and the police need the serial number to help maybe locate the laptop, but I don't know the serial number. I have the service tag number and the express service code. Is there anyway to get the actual serial number?

• The service tag number IS the serial number.