Dell Inspiron 1545, black screen with flashing cursor

Laptop

Laptop
Laptop computer Forums (Audio, General Hardware, Video)

Dell Inspiron 1545, black screen with flashing cursor

This question is not answered

Hi,

I have the dreaded black screen with flashing cursor on my Inspiron 1545 (from 2009).  Here is the order of events as to how this happened:

The machine was acting funny, so I erased everything and reinstalled Windows, no luck, machine was still behaving oddly (slow, and crashing a lot).  I booted from a live Linux CD, which worked fine, no problems there.  Next, when I went to reinstall Windows again, it crashed, and wouldn't boot at all.  I get the Dell splash screen, and can get into config (f2) or boot order (f12).  It doesn't matter what I select, CD, USB, or HDD, it does nothing.  I turn it on, get the Dell splash screen, then the black screen with flashing cursor.  Nothing changes.  f8 does nothing either.

Since the crash, I have tried the following:

I have tried booting to my windows CD (Vista and 7, I even tried an old XP I had lying around), no luck.

I have tried booting to a Linux rescue disk, no luck.

I have tried booting to a Linux rescue USB stick, no luck

I have tried booting to a Linux live CD, no luck.

I tried removing the HDD, but just got an error, the unit still won't boot to the optical drive or USB at all.

I reseated the RAM to make sure that was OK.

The CD makes no sounds and the discs will not even spin up.  It is hard to tell, but I don't think the HDD is spinning up either.

Any suggestions?  I'm stumped!

Thanks for your help.

All Replies
  • mauserman

Hi,

I have the dreaded black screen with flashing cursor on my Inspiron 1545 (from 2009).  Here is the order of events as to how this happened:

The machine was acting funny, so I erased everything and reinstalled Windows, no luck, machine was still behaving oddly (slow, and crashing a lot).  I booted from a live Linux CD, which worked fine, no problems there.  Next, when I went to reinstall Windows again, it crashed, and wouldn't boot at all.  I get the Dell splash screen, and can get into config (f2) or boot order (f12).  It doesn't matter what I select, CD, USB, or HDD, it does nothing.  I turn it on, get the Dell splash screen, then the black screen with flashing cursor.  Nothing changes.  f8 does nothing either.

Since the crash, I have tried the following:

I have tried booting to my windows CD (Vista and 7, I even tried an old XP I had lying around), no luck.

I have tried booting to a Linux rescue disk, no luck.

I have tried booting to a Linux rescue USB stick, no luck

I have tried booting to a Linux live CD, no luck.

I tried removing the HDD, but just got an error, the unit still won't boot to the optical drive or USB at all.

I reseated the RAM to make sure that was OK.

The CD makes no sounds and the discs will not even spin up.  It is hard to tell, but I don't think the HDD is spinning up either.

Any suggestions?  I'm stumped!

Thanks for your help.