Help! Error code 2000-0146

Laptop

Laptop
Laptop computer Forums (Audio, General Hardware, Video)

Help! Error code 2000-0146

This question is not answered
I have an Inspiron which had been happily working for the last couple of years without issue. Last night I turned it on and i received the following message: Checking file system on E: The type of file system is NTFS. Volume label is RECOVERY One of your disks needs to be checked for consistency... [windows ran a check] Corrupt master file table. Windows will attempt to recover master file table from disk. After a while I was taken to the usual homepage to my relief where I entered my password. It then froze on the welcome page. The little circle was going round and round but not getting anywhere. I turned the laptop off and tried again same thing. Next time at the dell screen I pressed F12 and ran a diagnostics test. It was all getting a pass then suddenly there was all this beeping and I got the following error message: Hard Drive DST short test Error code 0146 MSG: error code 2000-0146 I have looked online and it seems to mean the hard drive needs replacing which doesn't sound very good... What does this mean in terms of data retrieval?? I haven't backed up for a few weeks and my life is on this computer!!!! Is there anything I can do? Any help very gratefully received! Thanks Katie
All Replies
  • Katie,

Does the computer start? If yes, then backup all files and folders that you cannot afford to lose.

Rick

#DellRockStar

What is a Dell Service Tag and how do I locate it? 

Original poster, If you have solved your problem, can you please mark the correct thread(s) with your solution. Thanks 

Welcome to Dell Community!

• Hi Rick

It turns on but I can't get past the welcome screen to access any files. Is there a way of backing up from the log in page?

Thanks, Katie

• Katie,

Create a Live KNOPPIX 5.1.1 CD

Boot the copmuter using the Knoppix CD and if you have an external hard drive, flash drive or external burner, you can get your files and folders that way.

After you get your files and folders, if your computer is under warranty, contact Dell Tech Support.

If your computer is not under warranty, you need to purchas a new hard drive and manually install Windows.

How To Restore or Reinstall Microsoft® Windows® on a Dell™ Computer

Rick

#DellRockStar

What is a Dell Service Tag and how do I locate it? 

Original poster, If you have solved your problem, can you please mark the correct thread(s) with your solution. Thanks 

Welcome to Dell Community!

• hey 

i am receiving the error code 2000-0146 but my computer is starting up and is working fine but my battery is not charging. Also, on startup it says "The AC adapter type cannot be determined" 

Ne suggestions?

• One, the hard drive is on its way out.  The other issue may be the adapter, or the power jack - or mainboard.  Try a new Dell AC adapter first.  If that doesn't fix the problem, the system needs an internal repair or replacement of the mainboard.