Inspiron PC Restore locked my computer

Laptop

Laptop
Laptop computer Hardware and Software discussion

Inspiron PC Restore locked my computer

This question is not answered

Hi, I've got a Dell Inspiron 700m.  It has been sitting around for a while since it was extremely slow and nobody wanted to use it.  Well, I got some new software to convert VHS tapes to DVD's and decided I would use the laptop since I've got a huge box of family VHS tapes to convert.  Anyway, it wouldn't work because it showed there was only 10% hard drive space available.  So, I went about deleting all kinds of stuff that was on it that wasn't needed any longer.  I pretty much got it down to where there was nothing else on it.  So, I decided to just do a PC restore so I could start fresh and reinstall necessary software.  It was running Windows XP.  Anyway, I went to the Dell site and found the information for the PC restore.  I followed the instructions as indicated which was to turn on computer and hold ctrl and press F11 and then release both at the same time.  Then I clicked on Restore and within minutes, the thing just shut down.  Now when I reboot it, and it restarts I get an error message saying this:

A problem has been detected and windows has been shut down to prevent damage to your computer.  If this is the first time you've  seen this stop error screen, restart your computer (which I did but the same screen comes up again).  If this screen appears again, follow these steps:

Disable or uninstall any anti-vireus, disk defragmentation or backup utilities.  Check your hard drive configuration, and check for any updates drivers.  Run CHKDSK /F to check for hard drive corruption, and then restart your computer.  ( I don't have a clue how to do that since the computer seems to be locked at this error screen).

Technical Information:

STOP:  0x00000024 (0x00190203, 0x83B68250, 0xC0000102, 0x00000000)

Any ideas for this real computer rookie to get this thing back up and running would be very helpful.  Thanks in advance.

All Replies
  • Saumie,

You will need to do the following:

Insert your Dell Reinstallation CD for Windows XP.

Restart your computer.

Press F12 while the Dell Logo is still on the screen.

Select the CD/DVD drive as your boot device and Press Enter.

When you get to the Windows XP Setup Screen, press "R".

Select the Windows installation by number, usually "1".

When it asks for password just press Enter.

At the command prompt, type CHKDSK /R.

When the chkdsk finishes, type EXIT.

The system should reboot and proceed with installation of Windows.

Let us know how you fare.

Tony