Forums

Laptop

Laptop
Laptop computer Forums (Audio, General Hardware, Video)

Upgrading RAM in Dell Inspiron 15R (N5010)

This question is answered

I am wondering how many slots there are for RAM in this laptop.

Where are they, and how many gigabytes of ram can each slot handle?  Thanks.

Verified Answer
All Replies
  • Two, and each will take up to a 4G module for a total of 8.

• Here is a link to show how to change the memory out
    support.dell.com/.../memory.htm

Memory Type: DDR3 PC3-10600, DDR3 PC3-12800, DDR3 (non-ECC)
    Maximum Memory: 8GB
    Slots: 2
    Each memory slot can hold DDR3 PC3-10600, DDR3 PC3-12800 with a maximum of 4GB per slot.

• Can i use 2x8Gb sticks for a total of 16?

• No.

• why Can't i use 2x8Gb?

• See above.  The system supports up to 2X4G or 8 max.

• Hi,

I have an Intel i3 N5010 Inspiron laptop with default Hyundai 3 GB ram and WIndows 7 x64 installed.

I bought 2 x 4 GB Corsair RAM ( Corsair 8GB DDR3 1333MHz CL9 2x 4 GB ValueSelect ) and replaced the old ones.

With 8 GB installed Windows does not start and the Laptop powers off when Windows tries to start.

With only 4 GB ( Corsair ram ) installed a blue screen is displayed when Windows tries to start and the following error is displayed:

IRQL NOT LESS OR EQUAL - 0x0000000A

Please help, thanks,

• The new RAM is either faulty or not compatible with the system.

• I have run a DOS RAM test and it freezes but does not return any faults/errors.

Any ideas how can I check if this ram is compatible with my sistem ...it should be because respects the laptop specifications ( DRR3 1333MHz CL9).

Thanks,

• You'll need to ask the manufacturer.  While RAM "should be" compatible, it often is not - particularly if it's low-end RAM, which is very often built to sloppy tolerances.

• Thanks for answers, you mean ask DELL right? ( or Corsair ?)

• You need to ask Corsair about compatibility.  If you're looking for guaranteed-compatible RAM, Crucial and Kingston have Dell-certified RAM.

• I replaced the Corsair RAM with Kingston and the problem is fixed ... 2 x 4 GB Kingston 1333 CL9.

• I also tried Corsair ValueSelect in my Inspiron N5010 and after a few days I got the exact same blue-screen-of-death error which persisted until I took the RAM out.  Looks like I'll be buying Kingston.

• I have inspiron 15 Intel (N5010). But it came with 3GB RAM (not with 4GB).

How many slots are there and how much can I upgrade ?

Can I upgrade by myself after purchasing online ?