Disabling Inspiron 1545 Touchpad

Laptop

Laptop
Laptop computer Hardware and Software discussion

Disabling Inspiron 1545 Touchpad

This question is answered

I have looked high and wide for a way to disable my Touchpad and nothing that has been suggested works for this computer. I have a usb mouse on my computer and I assume that the other pointing device that shows up in my control panel (a PS/2) is the touch pad.

I have gone as far as deleting the drivers for the PS/2 but when I restart, it reloads everything back the way it was. I hate to go that far, but I hate the touchpad that is on this computer. Who in there right mind would put the thing right where your thumbs naturally rest. Anyway, any help would be appreciated.

Verified Answer
  • I have an Inspiron 1545 and it is possible to disable the touchpad provided the Dell touchpad driver is installed !

The devicemanager should  have a "Dell Touchpad" entry under "Mice and other pointing devices".

All Replies
  • I have an Inspiron 1545 and it is possible to disable the touchpad provided the Dell touchpad driver is installed !

The devicemanager should  have a "Dell Touchpad" entry under "Mice and other pointing devices".

• Thank you MicroTest, After all of the looking that I did you solution was simple, straightforward and best of all it worked.

• i have a 1545 but there is no touchpad icon under mice and other devices. the touchpad is driving me nuts

• Hi vickycar,

Welcome to the Dell Community. I suggest you to install the touch pad driver for your system.

Use the below link to install the driver.

www.dell.com/.../DriverFileFormats

Hope this helps.

Thank You

Roshan

Dell | Social Media Outreach | Global Social Media & Community

• Hi There

I have installed the driver instructed above but when I go to; Device manager / Mice and other pointing devices / Dell touchpad / Driver.

The disable icon cannot be selected.

Help me please !!!

Thanks

Kev

• Thank you so much for your help I have been able to type this message without Screaming!!!

It's like I have been given a new laptop.

Thanks again!

Kev

• I went to download the drivers listed above on my dell inspiron 1545 and they repeatedly failed to download after starting the setup program. A

• After repeatedly attempting to download the drivers with no luck, I am unable to reach the mouse screen shown in the video. Instead, I am shown the mouse box that is supposed to change a split second after opening. Mine never changes, and thus I can't get to the touchpad.

• Choose the appropriate Operating System ! and go to "Input Section" => Alps driver
    http://www.dell.com/support/drivers/ie/en/iedhs1/Product/inspiron-1545

Before installing,uninstalling software you should make a system restore point in case something goes wrong

Below the screenshot of the devicemanger of my 1545 - notice entry Dell Touchpad !

You can also try to uninstalling Dell Touchpad first before reinstalling

• I have done everything I can think of, even installing that driver, but it changed nothing!  I still do not have TOUCH PAD listed under MOUSE PROPERTIES.   Should I just call Dell?   It is really more than a nuisance, trying to type on this thing..  I am losing work and retyping memos and I can no longer deal with it... HELP  

• Hi  savn4amac,

Welcome to the Community,

As shown on the screen shots above posted by MicroTest does your system show Dell Touchpad in Device Manager and Programs and Features?

May I know your system model and Windows version installed.

Thank You

Dell | Social Media Outreach | Global Social Media & Community

• I have an Inspiron 1545 OS vista 32 bit Home Basic, SERVICE PK 2--   I do not have TOUCH PAD listed under MOUSE or DEVICE MANAGER or anywhere else that I can see and I have looked under almost every option.  I was told to go download a driver and that TOUCH PAD would appear.. I was given the address with instructions on dwnlding the driver.  I followed the directions and got the msg that the download was successful.  But when I opened control panel again, there was not any changes.  Still do not have TOUCH PAD.  

• Thank you.    So I took my advice and called Dell.  Now I don't feel so dumb.  Dell tech couldn't find the touch pad either.  I must have one, my touch pad works!  So what he did instead (that solved my problem), he did a quick google, then downloaded something into my laptop called "touchfreeze". ?   He had me try it out and I seemed to be okay.  Touch pad still works, and he never did give me an answer abot why we coldn't find it..   I no longer care...  I can type again withot worry.   Thanks for all your helpful advice.. I see it helped others. So not wasted.  I appreciate the time and effort!  Smile