Connect to a wifi with a usb wlan stick

Laptop

Laptop
Laptop computer Forums (Audio, General Hardware, Video)

Connect to a wifi with a usb wlan stick

This question is not answered

Hello. This Dell latitude PPX I've got has windows ME. It doesn'thave a jack for a ADSL cable, only for modem. Can someone using a wlan usb stick connect to a wifi?

Thanks in advance

Johan

All Replies
  • [post removed by me]

• jo_han

Hello. This Dell latitude PPX I've got has windows ME. It doesn'thave a jack for a ADSL cable, only for modem. Can someone using a wlan usb stick connect to a wifi?

Thanks in advance

Johan

I don't know what a Dell Latitude PPX is.

It isn't a listed model number.

The problem with a USB wifi adapter is that your laptop's USB port is 1.1 not the newer 2.0

Your best bet is to find a PCMCIA Cardbus card for wifi. They still make those. This is assuming that your PCMCIA slots support Cardbus. They most likely do.

my Dells:
    Precision M6300 - XP SP3 / Windows 7 / Ubuntu 12.04
    Latitude D620 - XP Pro SP3
    Precision M6300 - Windows 7

• [post removed by me]

• I have a D-Link DWL-G630 Cardbus adapter that I bought new on eBay. It is 802.11g and has Windows ME drivers.

You'll have a harder time finding a 802.11n Cardbus adapter with Windows ME drivers.

I'd suggest upgrading the OS to at a minimum Windows 2000. The D-Link DWA-652  which is 802.11n-capable has Windows 2000 drivers.

Depending on the exact model of this laptop and the amount of RAM, Windows XP may run.

my Dells:

• first of all I want to thank all of you guys who did bother to answer me.

I did thought about linux (I'm running Ubuntu 11 at the moment-in my main laptop)) but I tried to get connected to the internet first and see what is the laptop capable of as it is.

Obviously not much.The memory is 256k. I'll try to get a linux version that can live with this restriction. If you have any ideas let me know.

It also has a CD not a DVD. Any other option to load linux other than that? I went to bios to see the boot sequence and it doen't have a USB option to boot from it.

• 256K RAM is kinda low.

Is it one stick or two? If one stick, you may want to think about adding another stick to make it 512MB. That sort of RAM is pricey though.

Look at Xubuntu Linux or Puppy Linux

The ability to boot from USB stick is controlled by BIOS and your laptop is too old to have that ability. You will also want to update to the newest BIOS prior to installing Linux.

my Dells:

• upgrading may allow usb boot ?

thanks for your answer mate,

• jo_han

upgrading may allow usb boot ?

I doubt it.

my Dells:

• There is a solution to boot from USB especially if the BIOS doesn't support it.I tested/use this software on my 12 year old system (550MHz/256Kbyte).

The software is called "PloP" and is a bootmanager - it comes with it's own USBdriver that circumvents the BIOS

www.plop.at/.../bootmanager.html

It is very easy to use and you have different option to install it and as "ieee488" pointed out : upgrade to 512kbyte.....

• [post removed by me]

• There is no doubt that USB1.1 is not running at "warp 9" but as you wrote "andrewpdx" puppy linux runs entirely in RAM and loading Puppy from a slow CDrom drive or a slow USB1.1 port might not make a big difference.Anyway:I hate everything that has to do with CDrom - USB is so much "cooler" and using PloP means learning new stuff....

• ok guys I'll go through your answers once more and I'll see what I can do.

Thanks again for your replies

Johan