Forums

Laptop

Laptop
Laptop computer Forums (Audio, General Hardware, Video)

dell inspiron 1525 wont sleep when lid is closed

This question is answered

Ok a few months ago i cracked the hinges on my dell inspiron 1525. I recently fixed everything up but now when i close the lid the screen stays on. Though it can be convienient at times i really want to be able to put the computer to sleep without pressing the power button all the time. is there a way to fix this?

Verified Answer
  • "dkris2020"

I just read your first posting.You wrote that the problem started right AFTER repairing the hinges.I do not know if you had to completely disassemble the screen but if so you might have inadvertently lost , moved or loosen a magnet at the top of the screen.Usually when you close the lid the magnet triggers a tiny switch on the mainboard of your laptop.At least that is the way it works on my inspiron 1545.In my case the switch is located on the right side of my touchpad.I can actually use a tiny magnet to shutdown(or whatever the settings are) my system by holding it close above the position where the switch is located.

All Replies
  • Hi Dkris2020,

Welcome to the Community. Check your power options. Click on start, control panel, Power options, Choose what the closing the lid does ( right side ), Under When I close the Lid, change it to sleep on batter and plugged in and save changes.

I also update to the lates BIOS version from support.dell.com.

Hope this helps.

Thank you

Royan

• I updated the BIOS and the screen is already set to sleep when the lid is closed and the screen still stays on. I think when i broke the hinges and the screen was disconnected from the screen for few months it affected the screens ability to sleep when shutting the lid. Is there a part that controlled the screen options when it shuts?

• Hi DK... Actually I doubt that you leaving the screen disconnected would cause this. As I have the same issue and have never broke the hinges.

My husbands also has the same issue... Its like our laptops have a mind of their own.

If I find a way to fix the problem I will make sure to come back here and let you know.

thanks

• The screen is now responding, so i guess the problem is fixed?

• "dkris2020"

I just read your first posting.You wrote that the problem started right AFTER repairing the hinges.I do not know if you had to completely disassemble the screen but if so you might have inadvertently lost , moved or loosen a magnet at the top of the screen.Usually when you close the lid the magnet triggers a tiny switch on the mainboard of your laptop.At least that is the way it works on my inspiron 1545.In my case the switch is located on the right side of my touchpad.I can actually use a tiny magnet to shutdown(or whatever the settings are) my system by holding it close above the position where the switch is located.

• MicroTest

Thanks for the hint regarding the magnet.  I have tried several magnets to replace the missing one in my lid but none appear to bed strong enough.  I tested the switch with a magnet and it works but when I put it inside the lid it is evidently no strong enough to work through the frame.  Can you suggest where I can purchase such a magnet?

• Buy one of those cheap "Magnetic Door and Windows Open Alarms".(1€,1£,1$ article.....)I never had to replace my magnet - give it a try.I wouldn't place the magnet behind metal inside the lid - it could weaken the magnetic field.

• Dear MicroTest,

The original magnet was located behind the plastic frame that goes around the screen. In repairing my hinges I had to replace the back cover which had damaged holes where the hinge screwed into. No magnet came with the lid. The alarm/magnet in your picture would prevent the lid from closing. I have been in touch with Dell Parts and they have no clue.  Can you discuss this with any other techs who may have a solution?

• Hi SHAKOUN2

Unfortunately I am just a "normal" user like you are and have no connection to Dell.I would try to reduce the size of the magnet - could of course lead to a weaker magnetic field.If you can't find a proper magnet you could still use Windows "software" option.

• One more note:

One of the strongest magnets you can find are inside of hard drives.If you have a broken one open it and take them out.Be careful - the are really,really strong!! Stay away from old fashioned Tube TV's and Tube monitors.The magnets are not only strong but also too big to fit in a laptop - but  I think that a tiny piece of that magnet  should do the trick.....

• There is a very strong small magnet made of neodymium. The size that works on my Inspiron 1525 is 3/4x1/4x1/16. This can be inserted behind the screen frame wihout being noticed and is strong enough to activate the switch in the base of the laptop that can put the computer to sleep or hibernate when the lid is closed.