XPS 15Z battery is suddenly not charging and the status light is blinking orange steadily

Laptop

Laptop
Laptop computer Forums (Audio, General Hardware, Video)

XPS 15Z battery is suddenly not charging and the status light is blinking orange steadily

This question is not answered

This laptop was purchased in August 2011. Up until about two hours ago, the battery worked perfectly fine and charged normally. I have been using the computer more frequently as of late, particularly on battery power, and I've noticed that even though I have it on power saver, the battery has been running down faster than it has in the past. Today, the only thing I've done differently is that I've performed quite a few battery-sucking tasks while on battery-only. But everything else was the same. Now I'm receiving a consistently blinking orange battery status light and when I press the battery status button on the chassis, all 5 lights do not light up. Instead, lights 1, 3, and 5 blink and then go out.

Normally, with other laptops, I might remove the battery altogether when on AC power or if something goes awry, I'd power down and remove the battery altogether and let everything cool off. But I can't remove the battery in this computer without removing the whole chassis. And I've powered down twice to no avail.

Has anyone else experienced this? If so, what was your solution? Is this a common problem with this model? Please help if you can!

Thanks,

Erin

All Replies
  • I am not understanding your problem.

Why aren't you connecting up your AC adapter to recharge the battery?

my Dells:
    Optiplex 3020 - Windows 7 Pro 64-bit
    Precision M6300 - Windows 10 Pro 64-bit
    Precision M6300 - Linux Mint 17.3 Rosa / Ubuntu 12.04.5 dual-boot
    Latitude D620 - XP Pro SP3

• I'm having the exact same problem. My xps 15z is on boot up saying 'battery temporarily disabled'. I have only had it for 5-6 months. I Plug it in and it says '81% available (plugged in, not charging). Help.

• It might be a problem related with battery charging IC.