Should I have expect issues swapping hardware(HDD and Ram) from a D620(it died) to a D630 - General Hardware - Laptop - Dell Community

Should I have expect issues swapping hardware(HDD and Ram) from a D620(it died) to a D630

Laptop

Laptop
Laptop computer Forums (Audio, General Hardware, Video)

Should I have expect issues swapping hardware(HDD and Ram) from a D620(it died) to a D630

This question is not answered

Right here is the situation.

I gave my son my old D620 was running XP.  Gave it a birthday with a bit more Ram and upgraded with a new HDD and installed Win 7(64).  It ran fine for a number of months and then unfortunately the video chip packed up which would have require a Motherboard replacement which would be rather expensive.

Someone else at work was able to give me a D630 which is very similar.  I thought I would be able to just swap the HDD and memory across and I would be operating again with no issues.

Well....

When I start the D620 up is starts it try to go into Win 7 and fails. I can run the Startup repair from both the original installation and the original disk but it can't fix the issue. 

When I look at the problem details I see a number of Problem Signatures from 01 to 07.  I think the problem is at 07 where is says BadDriver.

Next thing I tried was...

I got the old HDD from my old D620 with Win XP on it.  Reinstalled that and powered it up.  Similar problem it starts XP then gets the blue screen of death.

As far as I know the D630 should have been good and the onboard diagnostic's have come back clear.

Is a swap such as this not so straight forward?  Do I need to re-install the operating system from scratch so it somehow knows it is talking to a D630 instead of a D620?

Advice please

All Replies
  • The hardware in the D630 is sufficiently different that a clean reinstall is likely needed.