Dell Inspiron 17r Touchpad/palmrest area issues....

Laptop

Laptop
Laptop computer Hardware and Software discussion

Dell Inspiron 17r Touchpad/palmrest area issues....

This question is not answered

I have an Inspiron 17r (N7110), and sometimes my touchpad goes haywire and will not move properly. Like if my cursor is near the right side of my screen, and i place my finger on the touchpad on the right side, when i drag my finger to the left, the cursor on the screen will jump back to the right side of the screen about every 1/5th I move across the touchpad. Another possibly related issue is that sometimes the palmrest area to both sides of touchpad will cause my cursor to move and/or act like a tap on the touchpad. This happens most often on the left side, but can happen 2-3 inches from the touchpad itself. Restarting the computer seems to fix it for a while, and I haven't been able to pick out any discernable pattern to when it does happen.

My touchpad driver is up to date.

Is this something that might be covered under the factory warranty? Or maybe a known problem with an easy fix?

Any help will be appreciated.

Thanks.

All Replies
  • Hi JeffSterrett,

Welcome to the Community. I suggest you uninstall your touchpad driver and reinstall it back. To uninstall, click on start, right click on computer, click on properties, click on device manager, click on the symbol next to pointing devices, right click on alps touchpad and click on uninstall, click  ok to confirm, once its removed use the below link to install it, and restart your computer a couple of times.

support.dell.com/.../download.aspx

I also suggest you remove your battery and ac adapter, press and hold down the power button for about 15 seconds, connect only the battery, and let me know if this issue happens when the battery is connected.

Thank you

Royan

• I am having this same problem and it's really slowing my programming...I have re-installed the driver as well. Also the the hardware interrupt flags are setup in a fashion that prevents my mouse from moving while typing? Nobody has a solution for this!?

• Royan,

Neither of those options did anything. I already had the newest driver installed, but I unistalled the device and deleted the driver, then reinstalled. Same problems, works fine for a bit when first started, then starts getting all wonky (yes, that's the technical term) after a bit.

Same results on the 15 second power button procedure you suggested.

• Hello, same is true for me, just got my 17r two weeks ago and have had to plug an external mouse in or experience the frustration of trying to move the mouse.  I've tried adjust the touch speed and sensitivity to no avail.

Thanks,

-Tom

• Wanted to add that I highly doubt this is a driver issue, since I really don't see how a driver would cause the palmrest (several inches from the pad itself) to register a touch on the pad.

• JeffSterrett

I have an Inspiron 17r (N7110), and sometimes my touchpad goes haywire and will not move properly. Like if my cursor is near the right side of my screen, and i place my finger on the touchpad on the right side, when i drag my finger to the left, the cursor on the screen will jump back to the right side of the screen about every 1/5th I move across the touchpad. Another possibly related issue is that sometimes the palmrest area to both sides of touchpad will cause my cursor to move and/or act like a tap on the touchpad. This happens most often on the left side, but can happen 2-3 inches from the touchpad itself. Restarting the computer seems to fix it for a while, and I haven't been able to pick out any discernable pattern to when it does happen.

I am also having this problem! I hope Dell can fix it... 

Luckily, my wireless mouse is working fine.

• I was wondering if there have been any responses to this post.  I bought this computer less than a week ago and have been having a similiar issue.  When I use the laptop on battery power both the wireless mouse and the touchpad are very shaky.  The laptop seems to freeze when typing as well.  When the laptop is plugged in there are no issues.  Any thoughts?

• No, I never found a solution, which is a big part of the reason I sold the thing a couple of weeks ago. Good luck to you guys though, hope you get something figured out.

• Contact Support for help with a new computer. If you want to try a fix, type Windows Mobility Center in the Start Box and use Dell's version of this to adjust the settings.