USB STOPPED WORKING

Laptop

Laptop
Laptop computer Forums (Audio, General Hardware, Video)

USB STOPPED WORKING

This question is not answered

i have dell latitude D505 and the usb port stopped working please help

Khwima (Malawi)

All Replies
  • Hi,

Is it one USB port or none of them are working ?

Or is it that one device is not working when connecting it to the USB ?

Forum Member Since 2010

• hello

the laptop has two USB port both of them are not working

all the device i try to connect are not working  

• Which OS are you using ?

Click on Start> Right click on Computer> Select Manage

On the left hand side select Device manager.

on the right hand side do you see any device with a yellow question mark ? or an exclamation mark ?

If yes post a screen shot if not under Universal serial Bus that is the last one, right click and uninstall each item mentioned there.

All of it under Universal serial Bus should be cleared. Restart your system.

Forum Member Since 2010

• infact am using XP OS i have tried all what you told me yesterday after restarting machine and slot in the USB Stick was showing LED but when i go to my computer nothing was there and yet all the neccessary drivers are there and well installed

• Do you have another USB Stick ?

Forum Member Since 2010

• yes i have another usb stick and ia have tried several sticks but nothing is happening

• If you have already tried refreshing all the USB drivers then i am afraid that the USB port needs to be check.

I hope you have warranty on your system.

Forum Member Since 2010

• 2 more options to try:

1.If you have a USB mouse available reboot your system and press "F2" to enter the BIOS => can you move the mouse pointer?If yes then the hardware should be fine and you might have software problem.

2.You can additionally test the USB ports with Dell Diagnostics.

Both tests are OS - independent !

This is how I would test my inspiron 1545 - I assume that your Latitude can  be tested the same way....

• khwima,

Did you recently install the operating system?

Disconnect all usb devices, then try the tweak below.

Go to device manager(right click my computer, left click properties, left click hardware, left click device manager)

Go to the USB Controller section and click the + sign.

Starting at the bottom, USB Root Hubs, and working your way to the top, USB Universal Controllers, un-install everything in that section.

Restart your computer. Windows will find everything again and correct the problem one. Please be patient. The new hardware wizard may work 3-5 minutes before it's done.

What happens?

Rick

#DellRockStar

What is a Dell Service Tag and how do I locate it? 

Original poster, If you have solved your problem, can you please mark the correct thread(s) with your solution. Thanks 

Welcome to Dell Community!

• Eh rick, i think he/she did that..

Forum Member Since 2010

• Telson,

Somehow I missed that. I have seen ports show they're working and they really weren't, so uninstalling them, then restarting the computer and the new hardware wizard made them work, again.

Also if an operating system is not installed correctly, notebook system utility and the chipset drivers first, then system does not know what usb ports, wireless adapters, webcams, etc, are not attached. Hopefully the person follow the correct order, if they reinstalled. How to Download and Install Drivers in the Correct Order Have also seen people say they used an image and the drivers do not get installed from the image.

Rick

#DellRockStar

What is a Dell Service Tag and how do I locate it? 

Original poster, If you have solved your problem, can you please mark the correct thread(s) with your solution. Thanks 

Welcome to Dell Community!