Dell Inspiron N5010 overheating problem (turning off automatically)

Laptop

Laptop
Laptop computer Forums (Audio, General Hardware, Video)

Dell Inspiron N5010 overheating problem (turning off automatically)

This question has suggested answer(s)

My laptop is only about a month 1/2 old and it's turning off automatically constantly. It's been doing this for the last two days. It happened twice while I was playing a graphically heavy game, then later today it happened while I was burning some files to a disk. While I was doing that, I started watching a video in my browser and that seemed to trigger it. Later on I started ripping a dvd and it turned off on its own again in the middle. I assume this is an overheating problem. What do I do?

All Replies
  • bump

• i had the same problem with my last laptop which was a hp.....the problem most likely is your heatsink.......if the laptop is stll on warranty calll dell asap

• I blew into the vent and some dust particles started flying out, not a ton though. It hasn't crashed since then. I also noticed the air was blowing a bit stronger and seemed cooler than usual. I'll see if it turns off again.

• well thats good because what i do like once per month i buy a can of compressed air and i blow air into the fan to blow out any dust that accumalates.....my laoptop doesnt overheat at all....tho it is a bit warm from time to time but i suppose thats because i live in trinidad......

• Had same problem without playing heavy games, It was getting too hot even to touch. Purchased a cooling pad and turned off the "Turbo Boost" function of Advanced system care. No problem of hot laptop since then.