updating dell mini inspiron 910 bios - General Hardware - Laptop - Dell Community

updating dell mini inspiron 910 bios

Laptop

Laptop
Laptop computer Forums (Audio, General Hardware, Video)

updating dell mini inspiron 910 bios

This question has suggested answer(s)

My mother bought a Dell mini inspiron 910 laptop a few years ago and she has always used it on adapter since the battery never charged, I just found this out and I want to fix this problem. I saw on some forums that I should try to update the bios, right now it is running version A01 and I tried updating it to A04 and A07 but neither worked, I got error 144 from the winphlash utility. My adapter is plugged in, so that is not the problem. Any thoughts?

-David

All Replies
  • You cannot - and should not - update the BIOS without a fully charged battery.  Doing so is inviting disaster.

The BIOS update will not fix what is a hardware problem - you either have a faulty adapter, mainboard or battery - get that fixed BEFORE you try to update the BIOS (as noted, a BIOS flash will not fix this problem).

• but this "chief blogger" at dell seems to think it should work:

en.community.dell.com/.../initial-battery-charge-for-the-mini-9.aspx

If the computer runs on the adapter (I am using it right now) how could the adapter be faulty?

• If the system recognizes the adapter (i.e., it's listed in BIOS setup, and not showing "unknown" -- F2 at powerup), then the adapter probably is fine - the fault is with the mainboard or the battery.

If the adapter IS showing 'unknown", then the adapter is likely not making good contact with the sense circuit - that, or the power jack on the board is bad.

• You can do a bios recovery flash but it requires a usb boot floppy.

I tried various ways but was only successful with a usb floppy.

CONFIRMED: Recovery from failed Windoze flash method!

I recommend you Buy good diskettes and format the diskette using the usb drive BEFORE trying to make a recovery floppy.

To download the file will require you to register on the mydell mini site but its free so not a big deal.

NOTE: Requires USB Floppy drive for recovery: http://www.newegg.com/Product/ProductLi ... y%20Drives
    To Use: Remove battery and power adapter. Confirm USB floppy drive is plugged in. While pressing and holding Fn & B keys, attach power adapter plug. The power lights will momentarily blink and your Mini will beep once. Continue to hold Fn & B and press the power button. Release the keys once floppy drive begins reading. Your Mini will beep continually until the flash is completed and reboots. Note: The display is not available during this process.
    Download and extract attached file below:

Attached Files

File Type: zip 910_A04 BIOS Recovery.zip (600.0 KB, 1647 views)

Report Unresolved Customer Service Issues here
    I do not work for Dell. I too am a user.
    The forum is primarily user to user, with Dell employees moderating
    Contact USA Technical Support

Get Support on Twitter @DellCaresPro