Mini 10 bios password reset

Laptop

Laptop
Laptop computer Hardware and Software discussion

Mini 10 bios password reset

This question is answered

How do you reset the bios password on a Mini 10 (inspiron 1012)? The only free/diy instructions I can find show shorting pins on the bios chip, which I can do if I have no other choice, but if there's an easier way, I'd like to know.

Verified Answer
  • No -- and discussing ways to bypass the password security here will get your post(s) deleted, as it violates the terms of service of the forums.

All Replies
  • Call Dell, verify ownership and they'll issue a master password.  The call is not free if you're out of warranty, though.

• Yeah and that's the problem- the warranty expired last month. I work for a company that maintains, fixes, and issues computers for charter schools. Some stupid kid put a password on the thing. Maybe we should charge him for the phone call if all else fails.

But still- is there a way to reset it that doesn't cost anything?

• No -- and discussing ways to bypass the password security here will get your post(s) deleted, as it violates the terms of service of the forums.

• Ok, well, how much is a support call and what information will they need to give me the reset password? The school is the actual owner of the computer; like I said earlier we store and maintain them, so I will need to know what information to get from our boss at the school.

• Yes if you want to pay $50 dollars

• This thread is over six months old and is being locked.  If this doesn't answer your question, please start a new thread.