Latitude E6500 won't boot; flashing Numlock

Laptop

Laptop
Laptop computer Hardware and Software discussion

Latitude E6500 won't boot; flashing Numlock

This question is not answered

Starting last night, my Latitude E6500 will not boot.  On pressing the button, the CPU light sometimes blinks for just an instant, but never for long.  After that, I hear the fan running for a few seconds while the power light remains on, but nothing is on the screen whatsoever.  Then, the fan stops, the power light goes off, and I am left with solid Caps and Scroll lock lights and a flashing Numlock light.  This lasts for about 30 seconds or so, and then also goes off, leaving the computer completely off.  I was able to successfully charge the computer (it had a half charge when this started), and it now has a full charge.  What could be wrong?  Thank you.

All Replies
  • Maybe battery is no good.  Have you tried to use this computer using AC adapter?  Otherwise sounds like a hardware defect.  You could try re-seating the memory:

en.community.dell.com/.../19227039.aspx

But that's all I know.

• I have the same problem.  It is intermittent - sometimes this will go on for many minutes and sometimes briefly.  Eventually, one of the times I hit the power button, it starts.  Any solutions?

• I have got your same problem.

I read somewhere that the problem is the cpu not detected.

So I think the problem is the mb.

I contact dell the ask me about 600€ for mb change, I expired warranty few months ago.

So I think will buy a new laptop soon.

• On pressing the button, the CPU light sometimes blinks for just an instant, but never for long.  After that, I hear the fan running for a few seconds while the power light remains on, but nothing is on the screen whatsoever.  Then, the fan stops, the power light goes off.

please help me

• I'm very sorry for your latitute. For mine the problem was the motherboard. I have the laptop already here in office, waiting for dismiss, because I was out of warranty, and Dell asked me too much to repair it. So I bought another laptop.