Dell Inspiron 1501 USB Ports

Laptop

Laptop
Laptop computer Hardware and Software discussion

Dell Inspiron 1501 USB Ports

This question is not answered

Hi!

I have an inspiron that is about 4 years old. In November, the disc drive broke so I bought an external drive. Now, none of the USB ports work. I am looking to get a new computer in the near future, but is there any way to temporarily fix the usb ports so I can get my files off?

Thank you!

All Replies
  • I suspect that your external USB DVD drive is power hungry and require an external power supply or 2 USB ports to work.

my Dells:
    Precision M6300 - XP SP3 / Windows 7 / Ubuntu 12.04
    Latitude D620 - XP Pro SP3
    Precision M6300 - Windows 7

• jl25,

Try...

Go to device manager(right click my computer, left click properties, left click hardware, left click device manager)

Go to the USB Controller section and click the + sign.

Starting at the bottom, USB Root Hubs, and working your way to the top, USB Universal Controllers, un-install everything in that section.

Restart your computer. Windows will find everything again and correct the problem one. Please be patient. The new hardware wizard may work 3-5 minutes before it's done.

Rick

#DellRockStar

What is a Dell Service Tag and how do I locate it? 

Original poster, If you have solved your problem, can you please mark the correct thread(s) with your solution. Thanks 

Welcome to Dell Community!

• PudgyOne-

I tried that and it did not work :(

When I plug anything (ipod, printer, flash drives) in any of the 4 usb ports, the computer will not recongnize it.

• Try reinstalling the chipset driver and then rebooting.

Philip Yip

Windows Reinstallation Guide and Related Wikies See here for other wikies such as Customising and Using Windows 8.1, Dell Wireless Cards and Unofficial Drivers.