How to open Dell Precision M4600 back panel

Laptop

Laptop
Laptop computer Forums (Audio, General Hardware, Video)

How to open Dell Precision M4600 back panel

This question is answered

I want to open the back panel of the Dell Precision M4600 so that I can upgrade the RAM and also put in a secondary hard disk. There is no documentation or tutorial for this. Anyone can provide and guide on how to do this? I can only remove the battery but from there I'm lost. I can see 2 screws covering the back back panel but I'm not sure if it's the right screw to remove.

Any help is appreciated.

Verified Answer
  • EDIT: Found the manual!

http://support.dell.com/support/edocs/systems/wsM4600/en/SM/index.html

To add to urlnotfound's post:

Remove the two screws under hte battery that hold the cover.

Slide, sometimes with a little force, the cover backwards towards the rear of the laptop.  It only moves about 1/4", and is completely free to lift off at that point.

Note that there is only one 2.5" HDD place, and it's the hot-swapable one you see on the side (still have yet to figure out how to remove it, the level doesn't seem to do anything - yet).  The "2nd HDD" is actually a dedicated "mSATA" slot, which stands for Minicard SATA.  It's a tiny PCI-express slot, just like the three you see when you remove the cover.  They are very rare to buy though.  I really wish I bought the one Dell was offering, cause aftermarket they are next to non-existant.  I found only 2 manufacturers, which are the same brands under the hood.  But they are only the 50mm size.  I want a 70mm site to slot into the WWLAN PCI-Express slot, cause those are available up to 240 GB.

And FYI, mSATA devices with SATA II interfaces can get up to 240 to 250 MB/s read/write!  No, there are no SATA III mSATA that I could find.  Been searching for a month for them...

Also note that only the two top RAM sticks are accessible here.  I'm about to call Dell support to find out where the othe two DIMM slots are (most likely have to remove the bottom board).

___

Eric Duncan

All Replies
  • I got mine open easily. Close the lid. Flip it over. Keep the opening side with the button towards you. Remove the battery by moving the lever to the right. It had to be pushed harder than I expected. The battery will 'pop' up. There are three black screws inside this compartment. One is on an 'L' shaped piece of plastic to release the hard drive. Leave that one alone. Remove the two screws that are on the tabs that hold the bottom panel on. Once they are out, gently push the bottom of the laptop away. It should just come off. You can then see the "A" and "B" memory slots. Install your RAM.

Reverse the directions to reassemble.  

• EDIT: Found the manual!

To add to urlnotfound's post:

Remove the two screws under hte battery that hold the cover.

Slide, sometimes with a little force, the cover backwards towards the rear of the laptop.  It only moves about 1/4", and is completely free to lift off at that point.

Note that there is only one 2.5" HDD place, and it's the hot-swapable one you see on the side (still have yet to figure out how to remove it, the level doesn't seem to do anything - yet).  The "2nd HDD" is actually a dedicated "mSATA" slot, which stands for Minicard SATA.  It's a tiny PCI-express slot, just like the three you see when you remove the cover.  They are very rare to buy though.  I really wish I bought the one Dell was offering, cause aftermarket they are next to non-existant.  I found only 2 manufacturers, which are the same brands under the hood.  But they are only the 50mm size.  I want a 70mm site to slot into the WWLAN PCI-Express slot, cause those are available up to 240 GB.

And FYI, mSATA devices with SATA II interfaces can get up to 240 to 250 MB/s read/write!  No, there are no SATA III mSATA that I could find.  Been searching for a month for them...

Also note that only the two top RAM sticks are accessible here.  I'm about to call Dell support to find out where the othe two DIMM slots are (most likely have to remove the bottom board).

___

Eric Duncan

• Thanks. I've been looking for this. I wonder
  • Thanks. I've been looking for this. I wonder if they have a PDF file for this so I can print it out and keep a hard copy.

• Now, but they do have the HTML files to download, extract, and have locally:

support.dell.com/.../index.htm

___

Eric Duncan

• If you haven't found it already, here it is: