Dell Inspiron Mini 10 (1010) no boot or POST

Laptop

Laptop
Laptop computer Hardware and Software discussion

Dell Inspiron Mini 10 (1010) no boot or POST

This question is not answered

I am an IT field service technician, trying to wake this netbook up for a friend.  With battery inserted, power light flashes alternately blue and red.  With battery removed: on power on, 'book Power Light illuminates blue, can hear hard drive self testing.  No video of any kind on LCD display, no audible POST codes.  Tried various combinations of ESC, 'F' keys, Fcn + F1 (to toggle video) - all no help.  Only way to power down is to hold power button down.

Unable to use alternate video, as there is no port, and I don't have what would appear to be a video out dongle to fit what appears to be a small coaxial jack on the left side of the 'book.  Using online manual, removed keyboard, removed and reseated hard drive.  I don't think RAM is removable. Powered on w/o HDD - power light blue, no other indications.   Also checked all visible connectors under keyboard to ensure cables are properly secured.  If I alternately press multiple 'F' keys on power on, I can get most of the 'F' keys to beep.  That's all I can get it to do.

Any help would be appreciated.  The owner apparently never registered the netbook, so I have no idea as to warranty status.

All Replies
  • I would suggest download the owner's manual.

my Dells:
    Precision M6300 - XP SP3 / Windows 7 / Ubuntu 12.04
    Latitude D620 - XP Pro SP3
    Precision M6300 - Windows 7

• I don't suppose you'd know of a link to the Inspiron Mini 1010 owner's/operator's manual?  I spent several hours of quality time last night (being led in circles by the support website) trying to find one before giving up and starting this thread.  The closest I could get is: http://support.dell.com/support/edocs/systems/ins1010/en/index.htm, where I found the below, none of which are Inspiron Mini 1010 operator/owner's manuals.  However, I did finally recognize a HDMI port on the side of the netbook.  Connecting from this to my LCDTV produced what I was afraid I'd find: nothing.  Looks like the MOBO is DOA - won't even charge the battery.

Thanks for the help...  I don't think my wife's friend will want to spring for the new MOBO, and given the lack of complete documentation here, I'm not in a hurry to suggest it.

Manuals

Manuals

Dell™ Inspiron™ 1010

Dell™ Technology Guide View Download (HTML, 4.87 MB)
    Dell™ Technology Guide View Download (PDF, 3.00 MB)
    Service Manual View Download (HTML , 2.18 MB)
    Setup Guide
    View Download (PDF, 595 KB)
    Ubuntu User's Guide View Download (PDF, 515 KB)