Modem hardware not detected - General Hardware - Laptop - Dell Community

Modem hardware not detected

Laptop

Laptop
Laptop computer Forums (Audio, General Hardware, Video)

Modem hardware not detected

This question is not answered

I've been connecting to the internet through wi-fi on my Inspiron 1545 for more than a year now. Recently, I got an Tata Photon data card (India product) but I couldn't connect to the internet because although the device is recognised and also shows full connectivity, on trying to connect I get a "Modem not found" error. Since then, I can't connect on wi-fi or through LAN cable either.

I tried updating drivers through the CD I got when I bought my laptop - but the diagnostics gives me a "Modem Hardware not detected" error. Instructions told me to re-seat the modem but I can't seem to find instructions on how to do this for an Inspiron 1545.

Any ideas why I can't connect to the internet? The laptop doesn't have any other problems.

All Replies
  • the drivers on the Dell CD is for a dial-up modem

you should install drivers and software for the Tata Photo

my Dells:
    Optiplex 3020 - Windows 7 Pro 64-bit
    Precision M6300 - Windows 10 Pro 64-bit
    Precision M6300 - Linux Mint 17.3 Rosa / Ubuntu 12.04.5 dual-boot
    Latitude D620 - XP Pro SP3

• But I can't connect to the internet using my regular broadband service either - using wifi or cable. I can't even connect to my mobile phone's data plan. Effectively, my computer cannot connect to the internet in any way.

Ipconfig command returns a "Media disconnected" reply. Any idea what that might mean? I'm trying to find the reply on google; although there are a lot of options listed, I haven't found anything that seems to work.

• You can try to do a System Restore to a previous date before you tried installing that card.

my Dells:
    Optiplex 3020 - Windows 7 Pro 64-bit
    Precision M6300 - Windows 10 Pro 64-bit
    Precision M6300 - Linux Mint 17.3 Rosa / Ubuntu 12.04.5 dual-boot
    Latitude D620 - XP Pro SP3

• Yesterday I changed some of the access settings on my wi-fi router and I could connect to the internet again. Ipconfig still showed a 'media disconnected message' so I tried the winsock reset commands that I got on some other page and restarted the comp as per directions. And now I can't connect to the internet again - it picks up the wi-fi connection but shows a "limited access" error. Now I'm really confused about where the problem is.

Can't do a system restore because there aren't any saved points.

• I am also having the same issue. I am not able to connect to the internet through my datacard. It was working fine till a month back. But then it suddenly stopped working. Whenever I connect my datacard it shows an error message saying "Device driver software was not properly installed". But I am able to connect to internet through wifi. If you found any answer please let me know.