Inspiron N5110 Hard Drive Placement - General Hardware - Laptop - Dell Community

Inspiron N5110 Hard Drive Placement

Laptop computer Forums (Audio, General Hardware, Video)

Inspiron N5110 Hard Drive Placement

This question has suggested answer(s)

Dear Dell,

Are you serious????  Whom ever designed the Inspiron N5110 should be fired.  After 15 years of working on Dell desktops and laptops I have never seen something so stupid as in this laptop.  Why in the world would you put the hard drive under the system board?  A tech has to disassemble the entire laptop to get to the hard drive.  It's absolutely ridiculous.  The hard drive is one of the major parts in a laptop that gets replaced or swapped. I am speechless. I am returning this laptop in the morning and looking for a different model or even a different brand.  Bad move Dell.

All Replies
  • It's not a great design from a serviceability standpoint, for sure - but at least the service manual documents the process.  I've seen plenty of Apple and Sony systems that were worse from a hard drive access standpoint - and they don't provide service  manuals to the public.

• Yes, I can chime in with DSCRAPPY.

Incidentally, even the motive for changing the HDD is down to Dell - they no longer customise the Inspirons and they give you a fast CPU, Sandy Bridge chipset and adequate RAM in combination with a lame 5400rpm HDD - whatever is the point of that?

Fine, I thought to myself, get an SSD for the system and be done with it - so now I have an obscenely expensive SSD loitering on my desk and have to take the whole machine to bits before I can get it anywhere near it.

• The Inspirons - for a few years now - serve only the very bottom of the market:  they're for consumers who buy on price alone.

• Well, Ejn63, there are Inspirons with i7 processors in my neck of the woods and the only thing that sets them apart from the XPS is the graphics card - but I don't quite know what you're implying anyway.

To do them justice though - I took the machine to a Dell shop and they completely disassembled it, changed the HDD and put it all back together again in about an hour and a half.  They refused to take any payment for it.

• There's more to an XPS vs. Inspiron than just that.

The reason the Inspirons exist is to allow $399 computers to be sold - they're not designed for anything other than a low price.  In exchange for the low price, you make some sacrifices in design (and quality).

• I agree 100% about the location of the hard drive, such a stupid design - it's not cheap - perhaps £549 is cheap to you? It's not to me.

• Anybody who got here because they too cant get to thier hard drive, I video taped my (3rd) attempt, so you have some idea what's involved.............