setting up 3g access via sim card slot on inspiron n5010

Laptop

Laptop
Laptop computer Forums (Audio, General Hardware, Video)

setting up 3g access via sim card slot on inspiron n5010

This question is not answered

There is a slot for inserting SIM card under the battery on my inspiron n5010.

I want to know how to set up drivers/firmware and software to set up internet access via 3G network using a sim inserted in this slot? 

Detailed instructions would be appreciated.

Additional info: Place of purchase Dubai - UAE, currently residing in INDIA. Network provider of sim card not decided yet. Operating system Windows 7 (service pack 1)

p.s. there doesn't seem to be any mention of the hardware in the device manager, is it a dummy slot by any chance?

All Replies
  • The SIM socket alone cannot be used.  It must be used in conjunction with a WWAN card that is supported by the wireless carrier with whom you have a data service contract.

In the US, Dell doesn't sell a WWAN option for this model - that may vary where you are.

• To connect internet at first u have to contact ur gprs service provider to know your APN. then u have to go start-control panel-phone and modem option...then select modem-properties-advanced and hear u found extra initialization commands and u have to type AT+CGDCONT=1,"IP","your APN", after typing press ok.

• i have purchased my DELL Inspiron N5010 laptop from United States, but now I am in India, can I use the 3G SIM card slot to sccess 3G internet using the DELL's 3G SIM card slot ?

• Not by itself, no.  You will also need a WWAN card compatible with your service provider's network, along with a data PCS service plan.

• but i have SIM card slot in my dell inspiron n5010 .... so it does not have WWAN card inside you mean ?

• Unless you purchased one, no - it does not.  I don't think Dell has offered these even as options on consumer-level notebooks in quite some time.

• The WWAN  card is available on ebay if you search for it - I obtained a dell 5540 for £10 and it is a matter of minutes to fit it in the slot on the base of the laptop. Windows could not find the drivers but I found them on Dell though I have yet to try a SIM card.

"Knowledge is cheap at any price"