"Quickset has stopped working"

Laptop

Laptop
Laptop computer Forums (Audio, General Hardware, Video)

"Quickset has stopped working"

This question is not answered

Every time I turn on my computer, I get the following message:  "Quickset has stopped working.  A problem caused the program to stop working correctly.  Windows will close the program and notify you if a solution is avialable."  I then have to close the window to continue.  If I try to repair the program, "The feature you are trying to use is on a CD-ROM or other removable disk that is not available"; I can't find my installation discs (I may not have gotten any; the computer has a recovery partition on the hard drive, but I can't find the .msi file there).  If I try to uninstall, "This is not a supported system".  I tried downloading a newer version and installing it, and "Another verion of this product is already installed.  Installation of this product cannot continue.  To configure or remove the existing version of this product, use Add/Remove Programs on the Control Panel."

I have an Inspiron 1545 running Vista SP2 (64 bit).  The Quickset version installed is 9.2.17.

All Replies
  • It sounds like Quick Set may have been corrupted on the system.  The following link from Microsoft may be of help

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/2438651/#reso2

You mentioned repairing Quickset in your post, have you tried to uninstall Quickset?  They may be an uninstall utility in the Quickset folder.  Run that.  Or go into control panel and then programs and features, select Quickset and click uninstall.  Once you removed Quickset there shouldn't be any further problems downloading and reinstalling it. If the problem continues after that, you may want to disable quickset in msconfig.

Click start / accessories/ run and type in msconfig and click ok.  Click on the services tab and make sure that you check "hide all Microsoft services", and then click "disable all".  Click on the startup tab and click disable all.  You could also just look for Quickset in the startup group and uncheck that leaving all other items checked. Click Ok and allow the system to reboot.  

Do you get the error when it boots up?  If not then you should be able to safely install Quickset now. Once it is completed installing you can return to msconfig and select normal mode and restart the system.

This should keep you from having to reinstall Windows to get rid of this error. 

TB

(Liaison for Laptops, Mobile Devices)
    Look for me on Twitter and LinkedIn.
    #iwork4Dell
    Would you like to be a Dell Community Rockstar?

• 1.  Yes, I tried uninstalling - I get the message "This is not a supported system".

2.  I checked all of the possible issues with the Windows installer from your link.  It seems to be working and up to date.

3.  I disabled Quickset as you suggested, and received no error on reboot.  When I tried to install, I again got the message "Another verion of this product is already installed.  Installation of this product cannot continue.  To configure or remove the existing version of this product, use Add/Remove Programs on the Control Panel."

• There also is no uninstall program in the Quickset folder.

• Peter

If you have the time check msconfig, under both the services and startup tabs, looking at the file names and their locations do you see any mentioning quickset?  Make sure that they are unchecked save changes and reboot.  Do you get the error about Quickset at the reboot?  If not then try installing again. 

You may be at the point to consider reinstalling Windows, you can try system restore if this is something that just recently started and it may get rid of the error message and allow you to reinstall Quickset. Other than that running a PC restore or a manual reinstall may be the only answer.  Here is the link on instructions for performing system restore, pc restore or a manual reinstall.

http://support.dell.com/support/topics/global.aspx/support/kcs/document?c=us&cs=19&l=en&s=dhs&docid=DSN_347576&isLegacy=true

If you are at the point that you are considering running a PC restore or a manual reinstall you can try looking for the Quickset files in the windows registry.  I don't suggest this lightly and only if reinstalling Windows is the only alternative. Click on start, then run and type in regedit and click ok.  Click in file and choose import to backup the registry. 

In Msconfig if you noticed any files mentioning quickset under the startup tab, looking under the location tab you can find which key the files are listed in the registry.  You can go into the registry and delete the files there.  You can also do a search for quickset for any files mentioning quickset and remove them.  This may clean up the registry enough to remove the error and perhaps allow you to reinstall Quickset.  There is a risk in corrupting Windows even further doing this so again I don't suggest trying this until all else fails.  It may just though keep you from having to perform a PC restore or a Manual reinstall.

TB

(Liaison for Laptops, Mobile Devices)
    Look for me on Twitter and LinkedIn.
    #iwork4Dell
    Would you like to be a Dell Community Rockstar?