BOOTMGR image is corrupt. The system cannot boot - Windows Vista

Laptop

Laptop
Laptop computer Hardware and Software discussion

BOOTMGR image is corrupt. The system cannot boot - Windows Vista

This question is answered

Hi All,

I am looking for some help with my Dell Inspiron Laptop running Windows Vista basic.  The above message is coming on when it trys to start up.  I am unable to get into Safe Mode and I do not think my laptop came with any discs.

Can anybody please help?

Many thanks,
Michele

Smile

Verified Answer
  • The hard drive is toast.  You'll need a new one (2.5" 9.5 mm SATA notebook drive).

If you don't have the Windows installation DVD, you will need that as well.  If you're in the US, see

http://support.dell.com/support/topics/global.aspx/support/dellcare/en/backupcd_form

All Replies
  • Start with an extended hard drive diagnostic - F12 at powerup.

• Thanks for your reply.

When I press F12 I only get the following options?

• Internat HDD
    • CD/DVD/CD-RW Drive
    • Onboard NIC
    • BIOS Setup
    • Diagnostics

Smile

• Diagnostics.

• Sorry I am very stupid in relation to computers.

I did run the Diagnostics and it came up with an error code 2000-0146?

Thanks for your help!

• The hard drive is toast.  You'll need a new one (2.5" 9.5 mm SATA notebook drive).

If you don't have the Windows installation DVD, you will need that as well.  If you're in the US, see

http://support.dell.com/support/topics/global.aspx/support/dellcare/en/backupcd_form

• You were 100% correct

I brought It to a PC repair store and they said exactly the same as you.

Thanks for all your help.

Michele :)]

• I got the same error message and my dell inspiron is still under warranty so I called up dell and opted for phone support and after i did all that the guy asked me to do he said the hard drive is corrupt and that he will send me a new one. I have very very important data on that hard drive. Can you please tell me if there is any way that I can recover the data from that hard drive. Its is very important to me. Thank you.

• If the BIOS still sees the hard drive (F2 at powerup), mount the drive in an external case and attach it to a working system by USB.  Copy the data to that system.

If the BIOS does not see the hard drive, you'll need to decide whether to spend the money (figure on $1,500 to start - possibly much more depending on what needs to be done) on a data recovery service.