how to make screen go dark (quickly) - General Hardware - Laptop - Dell Community

how to make screen go dark (quickly)

Laptop

Laptop
Laptop computer Forums (Audio, General Hardware, Video)

how to make screen go dark (quickly)

This question is not answered

How can i quickly turn off my laptop screen (without going through several control panel screens and having to readjust the time unitl display shut-off down to 1 minute and then wait for the minute to end).  Also, please note I do not want to just close the laptop, as I want to be able to hear the speakers which would be blocked by a closed laptop.
My laptop is a Dell Studio XPS 1645 purchased last June.
There is a hot key on the keyboard which takes me to a set of 4 screen extension options, but none of those options includes simply making the laptop dark (I don't want to make it sleep, just dark).  One option is "projector only" and when I click it the screen goes dark like I wanted, but then 8 seconds later comes back with a notice: "unable to connect to projector.  No projector detected."  Please help.

All Replies
  • You really can't do this within Windows. The only way to come close is to go to the power settings, set the screen to turn off after 1 minute, and set the Sleep time to Never. The screen will shut down in a minute.

There are ways to do what you want, but not officially. See this SITE for an example of a program which will do it. I HAVE NOT tested these programs, so Caveat Emptor.

XPS M1530, Windows 10 TH2 Pro 32-bit
    Inspiron E1705, Windows 10 TH2 Pro 32-bit
    Dimension 9100, Windows 10 TH2 Pro 32 bit
    Inspiron 660, Windows 10 TH2 64 bit
    Compaq DX 4370G, Windows 10 TH2 64 bit
    Asus T100 Tablet, Windows 10 TH2 32 bit