Dell Inspiron 1520 Hinges Broken...How Can I Get Them Fixed?

Laptop

Laptop
Laptop computer Hardware and Software discussion

Dell Inspiron 1520 Hinges Broken...How Can I Get Them Fixed?

This question is not answered

My Dell Inspiron 1520 is about 3 years old and just a few months ago I didn't noticed a cord was between the screen part of my laptop and the keyboard part when I attempted to close it. It caused my left side's hinge to break. Now my screen will open all awkward and I try to open and close it as little as possible to prevent it from breaking anymore. My warranty is up, of course, and I don't know how to get it fixed and if it's going to be a hassle and an expensive fix or if it will simple and descently priced. Should I go through Dell to get this fixed or is there an easier and less expensive way? HELP!

All Replies
  • Dell charges about $150 for any repair other than a screen or mainboard.

You're likely to find it less expensive to have a local shop change the hinge or back cover (depending on what's broken, you need either a $15 set of hinges or a $50 back cover assembly).  Add an hour's labor to the cost of the parts and it'll be cheaper than sending the system to Dell for repair.

• Thank you so much for your reply. I wasn't sure how effective it would be to post my problem on the forum, but I'm so glad I took the chance. That really cleared up a lot because I was torn between taking it to get fixed locally or sending it to Dell plus it gives me an idea of about what kind of cost I'm looking at. Again, thank you sooo very much!