inspiron 17R keyboard

Laptop

Laptop
Laptop computer Forums (Audio, General Hardware, Video)

inspiron 17R keyboard

This question is answered

does anyone know how to make it so my function keys work over the brightness/volume...ect on my inspiron 17R. I'm tired of holding down the Fn key to use my function keys. i rarely mess with my volume and brightness, would rather have my function keys trump them.

Verified Answer
  • does anyone know? this should be a common question... its rare to change your volume and brightness daily

All Replies
  • does anyone know? this should be a common question... its rare to change your volume and brightness daily

• Click on the start button (globe), type "mobility" into the search box.  You should see the Window Mobility Center (customized by Dell).  On the bottom row click on the drop down arrow in the Fn Key Behavior square and choose  Function key. 

• If the mobility screen doesn't show the option, which it did not for me, go in to the BIOS by hitting <DEL> or <F8> during bootup.

Within the BIOS there will be an option to define whether the number keys or the brightness settings should be the main button press.

Like you, I was amazed the answer to this question hadn't been answered previously.  Trying to hit Alt-F4 to close windows was driving me crazy!

• Boot up into your bios. It is one of the options as to how the keyboard fn keys should behave.

Now if only I can figure out how to make the left hand side shift key physically wider, i'd be a happy camper. Its too far to the left.