Dell XPS 15 - USB 3.0 Problem

Laptop

Laptop
Laptop computer Forums (Audio, General Hardware, Video)

Dell XPS 15 - USB 3.0 Problem

This question has suggested answer(s)

I have just purchased a Dell XPS 15. I decided to buy a 2.5" USB 3.0 caddie to plug my existing laptop hard drive into so I could transfer the data across. The drive from my old laptop is a 500GB hard disk. 

When you plug in the caddie with the 500GB drive in, you get one of two things happen. Either the driver fails to install, or the drive is not detected what so ever. 

I work for a Dell reseller so we have other Dell XPS 15 laptops in stock, so I decided to test on one of those and it does the exact same thing.

I decided to change the hard drive in the caddie - I changed it for a 160GB hard drive - this works absolutely fine on USB 3.0.

I put my 500GB hard drive back in the caddie and plugged it into my friends desktop system which also has USB 3.0 - it works absolutely fine which confirms it is not a fault with the caddie.

I decided it could need either a bios update or the latest USB 3.0 drivers installed. On checking on the website the latest bios is A03 which is the version I already have on my laptop. I checked the drivers under chipset and found "Renesas USB3.0 Host Controller" - I downloaded and installed this but during installation it pops up saying:

My next diagnostic would be to put another 500GB hard drive in the caddie of a different manufacturer (current is Samsung) and see if that works to confirm if it is a compatibility issue, or if the system cannot handle a 500GB hard drive in the USB 3.0 port. Unfortunately at the moment I don't have a spare 500GB drive.

Can Dell give any clarification on this matter? Do any of Dells other laptops use the same controller for USB 3.0 as the XPS 15?

All Replies
  • I just got a Dell XPS 15 today. I connected a USB mouse and used it for a few minutes and then nothing. The USB mouse didn't seem to be recognized anymore. I tried both USB 3.0 ports with the same result, the mouse wouldn't work. I connected the mouse to the one USB 2.0 port (right side) and it worked just fine. This is a Dell USB mouse and I've used it on two other computers frequently and without issue. 

I wonder what's going on with the USB 3.0 bus controller.

• Hi, i had a problem with USB this week too. Suddenly the mouse and usb keyboard did'nt work anymore. I had tu restart the computer. But i have installed the last drivers yerterday and i hope to have fixed this strange malfunctioning.

Regards.

• Just got my XPS 15 and had the similar problem. I have to plug in my 1TB usb3.0 drive into the port at the back. If I use the usb3.0 port at the left side, the drive will run but the computer cant find it - I suspect that is because of the lack of power supply.

I plugged a usb2.0 hard drive into the port on the left side, and found that the computer can find it and everything is fine...

So now I used the port on the left for my mouse, but if I plug the usb3.0 drive into the back usb port(which is adjacent to the one on the left), the mouse will stop reacting from time to time. And if I keep the usb 3.0 drive plugged but unplug the mouse and plug in a keyboard instead in the left port, the keyboard will not function at all... This makes me more suspicious that this is because of the supply of power...

DELL COME OUT AND FIX IT...Seemed I am not alone...

• If it's power related I would think plugging in a self powered USB hub would fix the issue. Maybe it's worth trying to see if it is a power issue?

• well I think this is a legetimate solution if this is a power problem... but a self-powered usb3.0 hub costs some70 or 80 bucks... and I hate adding another power wire to my outlet... together with another AC/DC adapter.

Maybe someone would like to try this and if anyone found it true please tell us! Thanks!!!

• I was only suggesting it as a diagnostic test. I agree it's too much to carry a hub around. As far as which hub a 2.0 hub should be able to tell us if it's a power issue. 

• Just bought XPS and have exactly the same problems.

Dell please help!

• Just bought XPS 15 and have exactly the same problems.

Dell please help!

• DELL, what’s up? Answer the question... please!!

• This certainly sounds frustrating. A couple of questions, does this happen under battery or AC power or does it seem to matter? I want to find out if any of you have gone into device manager, open universal serial bus controllers,  there should be a number of USB root hubs listed.  Open each one and click on the power management tab and uncheck "allow the computer to turn off this device to save power"?  You may also have to go into power options also in control panel and select "Choose a Power Plan" if you don’t see High performance, click advanced options and then choose High performance.  At least we can find out if Windows may be interfering with the issue.

As far as the problem with the driver for USB 3.0 I suggest trying the following link http://dell.to/i7FNhr .  Download the file to the desktop and run the file to execute from there. 

TB

(Liaison for Laptops, Mobile Devices)
    Look for me on Twitter and LinkedIn.
    #iwork4Dell
    Would you like to be a Dell Community Rockstar?

• Thanks.

Installing the driver didn't help in my case. Wat did seem to help was a suggestion in a related forum topic to install the update for Windows Live components through windows Update. USB ports work fine now and no driver or hardware errors are reported anymore.

• I don't know if it was windows update or not, but for a couple of days the usb ports have worked fine. In this time updates have been installed automatically. If this is the solution i don't know, but i think Dell should speak. A trademark that pretends to be serious should explain why it's new laptops fail.

• The chipset that Dell uses for USB 3.0 is a newer chipset and USB 3.0 is a newer technology. It's possible that there are some bugs to be worked out. I'm sure it's something that can be fixed with updated drivers/bios. My theory has to do with the entries that driver relies on in the registry but I'll get another chance to try this theory soon.

The only thing that would be hard to fix is if the chipset wasn't wired onto the motherboard correctly. This would require replacing the motherboard. 

• Hi,

I have an XPS 17 with the same USB 3.0 Controler (resenas), and i have the problem with an external hard drive Verbatim 500 Go USB 3.0.

With the default drivers (v2.0.4.0) when I connect the hard drive on usb 3 plug it doesn't work, but it's ok on lateral usb 2 plug.

If I plug an usb 2 device on the usb 3 controler, it's ok.

I have contacted Verbatim support for this problem, and they said that there's a problem with the resenas drivers v2.0.4.0, and the solution is to install old resenas drivers v1.0.20.0.

I try this solution and effectively with this old drivers my USB 3.0 hard drive work correctly on USB 3.0.

• Hello,

we have still the same problem with our Dell XPS 15 and the Renesas Electronics USB 3.0 host controller. There are many other people in Germany, who struggle with that, too. Whenever I connect our new Iomega eGo 1TB USB 3.0 external harddisk and try to copy more than roughly spoken 200 Mb, the data transfer stops in between and I get the message that the actual source is not anymore available with the error code 0x80070037. The harddisk works fine on the right USB 2.0 plug and also fine, if I extend the USB 3.0 cable with a USB 2.0 cable to the USB 3.0 plug. So, the problem exists only for USB 3.0. I had the opportunity to test the harddrive on a Samsung R510 laptop with the same Renesas Electronics USB 3.0 controller and it worked perfectly with the actual driver 2.0.4.0. but why not on this Dell?!

I have tried several suggestions until now: power management options, deactivating the internal connected USB 3.0 bluetooth card, deinstalling / installing the USB 3.0 drivers, Windows Update and also the earliest NEC v.1.0.20.0 driver, which also has shown no improvement. I spend more than 5 hours on that problem and it is still existing, so please Dell, now it's really your turn to provide your customers with a solution.

Thanks for every suggestions in advance.