No numeric keys on Inspiron N5030 keyboard?

Laptop

Laptop
Laptop computer Forums (Audio, General Hardware, Video)

No numeric keys on Inspiron N5030 keyboard?

This question is not answered

There seem to be no numeric keys on the Inspiron N5030 keyboard -- which means I can't type letters with accents or m-dashes and n-dashes!  None of the letters keys are marked with function key numbers.  Is there a solution to this?  Googling doesn't seem to help.

All Replies
  • I have now sent the following email to the very efficient salesperson in India who took my order and specifications and arranged for very prompt delivery:

"My Inspiron 5030 laptop arrived on time thanks to your help and it is all set up and working fine.  I have one query, however, and I would be grateful if you would pass it on to Technical Support.  I have repeatedly tried to email Dell Technical and Customer Support direct, but the website has persistently refused to recognise the laptop's Service Tag (nnnnnn) and without Dell recognition of the Service Tag it's impossible to pass any communication to them. It is not possible to telephone them on a Sunday and even when I can, I doubt if I will get any help if the correct Service Tag is not recognised.

My problem is that the laptop appears to have no numeric keyboard: none of the ordinary letter keys are marked with numerals that work as numeric keys when the Fn (function) key is held down, as with every other laptop I know, including a very old Toshiba that I have been using for years.  Without numeric keys I can't type letters with accents and I can't type short and long dashes.  Typing ASCII code only works using numeric keys.  Is there some way of turning the ordinary number keys into numeric keys?

This is a problem that ought to be capable of being solved by reading the manual for the Inspiron 5030 but no such manual seems to exist apart from a manual for setting it up and a manual for taking it to pieces.

(I hope someone will also deal with whatever bug is preventing Dell from recognising the laptop's Service Tag, which is extremely frustrating.)

The laptop is of course still under warranty.

Will you please pass this message to Technical Support with a copy to Customer Services and let me know when you have done so?  I would be grateful for an early reply from Technical Support or Customer Services by email to [my email address]. "

It would be nice if Dell would do me the courtesy of replying to me in this forum!

Brian
    3 Oct 2010

• This is a user to user forum, not dell support. The service tag takes a week or so to be recognized. Talk to a support tech directly and have your order number handy. There should be a NumLock key on the kb. Press that and some of the letters turn into numbers. This ARTICLE should help.

• Hi Brian,

Just figured out how to make some of the desired characters available. Hold the right "ALT" and type e.g the "e" this results in é.

This pretty much works for every alphanumeric key althoug I'm still missing some characters. Will try to figure out where the other characters are hiding.

Cheers,

Carlo

• Hi Brian, I was looking online to see if I could find the same answer but no luck... I used to use my number key pad on my old laptop in order to do symbols like ♫, but there is no problem to do accents though... I just switch back and forth between an English Keyboard to a French one, and in the French I have no problem doing all the symbols... éêèñøþœ¶ß etc... it's actually a lot easier. You just right click on the task bar > Toolbars > Language Bar.

What sucks are the other symbols (like ♫) for which I basically have to google "alt codes" in order to use them... If you did get an answer back, please let me know, I'd be interested in knowing what they said! 'Cause looking at my keyboard, there is no "Number Lock" key...

Thanks!

ScarredSouvenir

• Hi, S. Souvenir!  My technosavvy son found a solution that seems to work well and doesn't involve switching between keyboard settings all the time:

Normal 0 false false false EN-GB X-NONE X-NONE MicrosoftInternetExplorer4

The UK Extended Keyboard is the easiest way to type French accents. The keyboard layout will be maintained, but you can type most accents with the AltGr key, which is located to the right of the spacebar.

• To type accent grave (à, è, etc), type ` (to the left of 1) then the vowel.
    • Accent aigu (é), click AltGr and e at the same time.
    • Cédille (ç), click AltGr and c at the same time.
    • Circonflexe (ê), click AltGr and ^ at the same time, then the vowel.
    • Tréma (ö) click AltGr and " at the same time, then the vowel.

[Pasted from <http://french.about.com/od/writing/ss/typeaccents_3.htm>]

I'm not sure how you'd do  the other symbols on the UK Extended Keyboard but I imgine a spot of googling (including the string "UK Extended Keyboard" would produce an answer.

I hope that helps.  Apologies for not having posted this here earlier.

Brian
    http://www.barder.com/ephems/

• Hi Brian,

That's great, thanks for all your help!

~ScarredSouvenir

• This worked I think.  It did not seem to at first, then I held the right Alt key and hit a bunch of other keys (with frustration!) and that worked.  It works on my emails, but does not work when I am sending a message online such as now.  This should be the question mark key but it is this É  and lower case it is this é.  This should be the parentheses but it is this è  and when I hit the shift key it is this È.  And when I hit the shift key and the number 6, I get the question mark - ?  Thanks Dell!  Wow, the exclamation mark worked!