Laptop Will Not Turn On (Dell Inspiron 1545)

Laptop

Laptop
Laptop computer Forums (Audio, General Hardware, Video)

Laptop Will Not Turn On (Dell Inspiron 1545)

This question has suggested answer(s)

I've had my Inspiron 1545 for a little over a year now, so my warranty just expired.  The problem started a few days ago.  When I went to press the power button, my laptop didn't respond in the least bit.  It didn't light up, attempt to start up, or even make a sound.  I thought it was the battery at first, so I just plugged it in.  After letting it charge for a while, I tried again, and still no luck.  Not only that, but I realized that my laptop wasn't lighting up when it was plugged in.  Even when it is turned off, my laptop has always shown a white light on the front when plugged in.  You'd think that there was something wrong with the charger or the battery, but I don't think that's the problem.  Here's why: I left the house for a while, and when I came back, it was on.  I plugged the charger in and the laptop was able to charge just as it always had.  When I turned my laptop off before going to bed, it still had quite a bit of battery power left.  The next morning, I found myself stuck with the same exact problem.  The only difference is that it will not turn on this time, no matter what I do.

The battery shouldn't be the problem, because my laptop should still have some battery power left from the last time I turned it off (I have a pretty decent battery that can last for a couple hours unplugged).  Also, my charger didn't appear to be working when I first encountered this problem, but once my computer came back on, it was working fine.  Now that I have encountered this problem once again, my laptop does not appear to charge when I plug it in.  So I don't think it's the charger either.  I think it has something to do with the laptop itself, but I'm not entirely sure.  Any ideas?  It'd be ridiculous if I had to buy another laptop just because my warranty expired just a few weeks ago.

All Replies
  • The problem is with either the charger of the DC circuity on the system board, usually the DC socket which becomes un-soldered.. Initially borrow or purchase a charger to check that end. If yours is OK, repairing or replacing the system board is expensive. You can have Dell or a repair shop do the work if you are not comfortable doing it.

XPS M1530, Windows 8.1.1 Pro 32-bit
    Inspiron E1705, Windows 8.1.1 Pro 32-bit
    Dimension 9100, Windows 8.1.1 Pro 32 bit
    Inspiron 660, Windows 8.1.1 Home - 64 bit
    Compaq DX 4370G, Windows 8.1.1 Home - 64 bit
    Asus T100 Tablet, Windows 8.1.1 Home - 32 bit

• I'm almost certain that the charger isn't the problem.  I really don't think the power supply is an issue at all, really.  Today, a friend of mine took my laptop apart to see if he could figure out what was wrong, and as he was in the process of doing so, my laptop turned on and had energy to spare.  He put it back together, and when he tried to turn my laptop on again to see if the problem was fixed, it wouldn't turn on.  He gave it back to me and said that he didn't know what was wrong.  My laptop definitely still has power, it just won't turn on when I press the power button.  Is it a problem with the motherboard?  I don't know much about this sort of thing, but if the motherboard had something wrong with it, wouldn't my computer not work at all?  My friend said that when the computer randomly turned on, it seemed to be working fine.  After he powered it off, he couldn't get it to go back on.  What could be wrong?

• This is typical for a unit that has DC power socket and/or power circuit problems.

Check the net or eBay to find people that repair Dells. Some I have looked at have very reasonable prices, and even charge nothing bu shipping if they can't fix it. Some require that the system board only be sent in, but some will take the whole laptop for slightly more cost. Much cheaper than Dell.

XPS M1530, Windows 8.1.1 Pro 32-bit
    Inspiron E1705, Windows 8.1.1 Pro 32-bit
    Dimension 9100, Windows 8.1.1 Pro 32 bit
    Inspiron 660, Windows 8.1.1 Home - 64 bit
    Compaq DX 4370G, Windows 8.1.1 Home - 64 bit
    Asus T100 Tablet, Windows 8.1.1 Home - 32 bit

• I have the same model, almost 1 year old. I have been having the same issue with my daughters laptop.. mostly, it would not power on. i have the same laptop so i tried my power cord. Same issue. will not power on, most times it does not, once in a great while it will... took the battery out, held down the power etc...

I called dell today, they advised there is an issue with this model power button connecting to the mother board... not making a connection. Since mine is still under a year. they will be sending someone out to replace the hinge cover.. Not really sure what is considered the hinge cover, but i am hoping this fixes this issue...

Should be about a week to fix this... Hope it works before the year is up...

Hope this helps for you too

• I am also having the very same problem stated above. Also, I have confirmed with many other people, according to them this is a common problem with Dell Inspiron 1545 laptop.

I called up customer care asking for a possible solution of the same, according to them there is some problem with the motherboard and it has to be replaced for 14500 rupees, this is simple ridiculous....for a small problem motherboard needs to be replaced.

If anyone finds a solution for this problem please post back.

• I would suggest you set the laptop aside, return to it in a couple of days.  Turn the power on.  The laptop may just start up again.     I have no idea why this happens but it may just work for you and others.  

• I also have been having the same problem for a couple months now, and its getting more frequent.. it seems to only happen after I move the laptop, or change the hardware.. (I have 2 hard drive trays, one for windows 7 and one for xp that I use for working with phones and other devices that only have drivers for xp).. I was wondering if the motherboard on the 1545 has some kinda shock sensor or device that prevents power on after recent movement and mine was on the fritz and became overly sensitive.. I'm not sure but when it happens, it wont turn on with a charged battery by itself or with the charger plugged in, or the charger by itself. So I pull the battery and the charger and hold the power button for 30+ seconds (yes actually 30!, less than that never works), then I plug in the charger and press the power button twice and it fires up no problem, then I plug in the battery and its fine. Its friggin weird and annoying, but it works. I'd like to find out what the actual cause is for this problem, as I have no warranty anymore, but I'm becoming more and more proficient at repairing electronics, and if this is something simple like replacing a small component on the motherboard, I can probably handle the solder job no problem.

• I have had problems with mine since the day I received it. On xmas eve 2 years ago. It took, literally, 110 hours on my cell talking to customer service. It seems to work if you replace the plug, but only lasts about 6 months before you have to replace the power supply again. I would suggest buying a new power cord on amazon. They are cheap so if it doesn't work it will cost you less than $20. If that doesn't work buy a vaio. It's alot less stress. Even my HP lasted 6 years before having any problems. My dell at work has all sorts of problems too. I think it's just the brand. Our IT guys don't have dell computers.

• I ended up replacing the motherboard a few months ago with one from a smashed up 1545 somebody gave me.. haven't had a problem with the power ever sense. I guess something in the power circuits on the motherboard went bad. I tested every part so after process of elimination the problem has to be on the motherboard, so the solution is replace it. Look on Ebay, you might be able to get one cheap, and there not that difficult to change if you have any experience taking apart laptops.. Ive done about everything you can to laptops on dozens if not hundreds of different models/brands and I would say Dells are well engineered compared to most other brands and are much easier/less confusing to take apart. If you've never taken apart a laptop you can find service manuals here: support.dell.com/.../index.htm  These are detailed dis-assembly instructions that let you pick a target part to replace and give you the steps to do so. Course I figured it out on my own just fine, all laptops are basically the same, some are just more complicated to take apart (cheaper brands have poor designs and use like a dozen different size screws) - So anyways do this on a well lit table/desk in a room with a floor where you can find tiny screws in case you drop em, remember your screw sizes/locations, start with the bottom, take out all the screws/panels/drives, then flip and pry the top bezel above the keyboard, then pull the keyboard, remove any screws under that, then unplug wifi antenna wires, video cable, camera, microphone.. then hinge screws and then the lid can come off. Now for the palm rest, pry it off slowly starting at the easiest point and work around, if it seems stuck somewhere then you missed a screw.. After palm rest is off get the top motherboard screws, heat sync/fan and the motherboard can be pulled out, just be careful with the front of the board where the power led is because it protrudes from the edge a little and can be bent off easily... ( I had to re-solder mine and it still only works when it wants...) There's a little trapezoid shaped insert that you can slide out the front before you pull the motherboard to make it safer for that led.. Anyways good luck.

• Dell 1545 does not have a soldered power port. The power port is mounted on a daughterborad, and plugged into the main board. They cost about $20.