Dell Inspiron Mini 10

Laptop

Laptop
Laptop computer Hardware and Software discussion

Dell Inspiron Mini 10

This question is not answered

Just purchased a Dell Inspiron Mini 10 (1012) from the at&t store.  We were evaluating this product as a way to connect our travelling salespeople to our home network with a small footprint.  The footprint was small but that's about all that worked for us.  We never got far in our testing.  The first thing we did was to upgrade from Windows 7 Starter to Windows 7 Enterprise.  Install went well, but the wireless modem for cellular would not install with the drivers provided by Dell for Windows 7 (Dell's website had a download for the "Dell Wireless 5540" but the netbook has the "Dell Wireless 5541" installed).  After an exhaustive search on the internet for drivers  I spoke with Dell Tech support via chat and they stated they could not help me nor provide a working driver for Windows 7 Enterprise.  I was under the impression that Windows 7 Starter was just a limited version of Windows 7 and not an entirely different operating system (I'm being sarcastic).  I was told to reinstall Windows 7 basic.  Nevertheless, looks like the Samsung GO is a clear leader in the netbook world (of which we have successfully loaded Windows 7 Enterprise and all devices work great).  We must not be in Dell's target audience for this product, so I can take my business elsewhere.

All Replies