Summary

...how well does Dell follow its own nomenclature regarding Model Numbers and names? Is the model number a good tracking point, as the name doesn't always seem available. (Or properly indicated on the unit) Or do the model numbers tend to apply to a large series of laptops at a time?

Hello,

First time user of this forum. (How do you do and all that) I'm hoping someone can clear something up regarding Dell laptop naming conventions.

The desktop line is typically easily identified by looking at the front bezel, however, I recently began working in an environment where Dell laptops are very prevalent. The inventory system was a bit...lacking, so I've decided to create an SQL database to keep track of my 'charges'. The problem I'm running across is that not all Dell laptops are easily identified, and during my initial design of the database I realized I wasn't sure what to call certain aspects.

Specifically, model numbers and laptop model names. While I can usually find a "Model Number" on the bottom of the laptop, the model name is always indicated, and seems to be rather fast and loose when comparing the two. I'm typing this on an old XPS M140 I keep around, with a model number of PP19L.  I'm not at work at the moment (for a change) but I specifically recall some older systems we keep around for nothing more than network monitoring that are labeled nothing more than XPS or something of the like. Regarding this laptop, upon looking up the actual "name" of the laptop by placing the service tag into the support site I get something like "XPS M140/630C", which, while a bit long, is a start. However, some research shows that a PP19L also applies to the XPS M145.

I suppose my question is, upon creating a database with these values, how well does Dell follow its own nomenclature regarding Model Numbers and names? Is the model number a good tracking point, as the name doesn't always seem available. (Or properly indicated on the unit) Or do the model numbers tend to apply to a large series of laptops at a time?

Sorry for being long winded, but appreciate any notes on this subject.

Thanks much,

--Fox