Installing a SSD HD in a Latitude E6500

Laptop

Laptop
Laptop computer Forums (Audio, General Hardware, Video)

Installing a SSD HD in a Latitude E6500

This question is answered
Hi, I bought a Latitude E6500 one year ago, and I am pretty happy with it (except for the battery life... wholy disappointed). Anyway, I am planning to change the internal HD for a SSD HD to gain some speed; since my hardware knowledge is very scarce, I'd like to know if anyone in the forum has some experience with this matter. I am planning to buy this SSD to host my GNU/Linux: OCZ Agility-2 SandForce SSD http://benchmarkreviews.com/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=579&Itemid=60&limit=1&limitstart=1 http://www.ocztechnology.com/products/solid-state-drives/sata-ii/2-5--sata-ii/performance-enterprise-solid-state-drives/ocz-agility-2-sata-ii-2-5--ssd.html But I don't even know if my latitude is, I quote, "SATA 2.6 Compliant, 3Gb/s and 1.5Gb/s support". BTW, is it difficult to open the laptop to change the hard disk? (as I said, I am not really a hardware guy) thanks
Verified Answer
  •  

I have the same laptop and put a Crucial M4 in there.  It was not hard to do at all, there is a small hatch cover on the left hand side which you unscrew from the bottom.  The hard drive slides right out.

Switching to SSD has allowed me to keep the laptop for at least another year or so.  It made things "zippier" but not exceedingly so.  I think the sata channel is the limiting factor, but I don't no for sure.  I put an SSD in my desktop as an OS drive, and it blew the pants off the thing.  It's like having a completely new computer, and it's vintage 2009.  I was a little disappointed in the speed increase on my E6500 though.  I plan on futzing around with the settings to see if there's anything I can do about the speed.

All Replies
  •  

I have the same laptop and put a Crucial M4 in there.  It was not hard to do at all, there is a small hatch cover on the left hand side which you unscrew from the bottom.  The hard drive slides right out.

Switching to SSD has allowed me to keep the laptop for at least another year or so.  It made things "zippier" but not exceedingly so.  I think the sata channel is the limiting factor, but I don't no for sure.  I put an SSD in my desktop as an OS drive, and it blew the pants off the thing.  It's like having a completely new computer, and it's vintage 2009.  I was a little disappointed in the speed increase on my E6500 though.  I plan on futzing around with the settings to see if there's anything I can do about the speed.

• @Cmontagu: Thanks for the reply. It's been a long time and I completely forgot about this question.

Finally I bought a OCZ 120Gb, so now I can give my 2-cents: I can't compare with a SSD on a desktop computer, but the speed boost was fantastic on my E6500, apps start really fast (GNU/Linux) and the overall responsiveness is great. Money well spent. I had a problem, though, the SSD stopped worked after a year (and I lost some data), fortunately it had warranty . So the moral of the story is: 1) SSD are great, 2) make backups.