XPS 1530 padlock with 9 inscribed in it problem

Laptop

Laptop
Laptop computer Forums (Audio, General Hardware, Video)

XPS 1530 padlock with 9 inscribed in it problem

This question is not answered

Hi,

I have a friend that has a XPS 1530 laptop that a few days ago started displaying the padlock with a 9 inscribed in it which of course is the num locks. Also, all the blue function keys became active. It seems like the function key is stuck but I have checked it and it seems to be working properly.  I have tried all the various combinations of pressing the Fn key along with all the other keys and nothing seems to switch it back to the original state. I have plugged in an external keyboard and everything works fine from there. I have turned off the num locks using the external keyboard but when I unplug it it goes back to the Fn keys being active.

I have reset the bios back to the factory defaults also to no avail. It's not a windows problem because the fn keys are active as soon as I turn on the computer even before booting into windows. If I boot from a cd the fn keys are still active.

Will upgrading bios reset keyboard? Does anybody have any other suggestions? Again, I have tried all possible combinations using the Fn, Numlock, and the F1-F12 keys.

The problem started when his son used the computer and supposedly pressed a combination of keys that activated it but he doesn't recall what they were.

Thanks in advance for any assistance.

Regards..

All Replies
  • Pressing the Num Lk key to the right of F12 should turn off the Number Lock indicator.

XPS M1530, Windows 8.1.1 Pro 32-bit
    Inspiron E1705, Windows 8.1.1 Pro 32-bit
    Dimension 9100, Windows 8.1.1 Pro 32 bit
    Inspiron 660, Windows 8.1.1 Home - 64 bit
    Compaq DX 4370G, Windows 8.1.1 Home - 64 bit
    Asus T100 Tablet, Windows 8.1.1 Home - 32 bit

• Hi, I have tried that and since the blue function keys are active pressing the num lock key activates the scroll lock. Pressing the function key + the num lock doesn't do anything either.

• The BLUE keys on the top row are active whenever the Fn key is pressed and held. The BLUE number keys are active when the Number Lock has been set on and the Fn key and a number key are both pressed. With the Scroll Lock being activated without pressing the Fn key, it appears that the Fn key is always on. Because pressing the Fn key and the Num Lock does nothing, then the function of the Fn key is not reversed, but the key is always on. However, if the Fn key is pressed (on a working machine) and the Number Lock is off, only the top row BLUE keys and the screen brightness keys will respond, and no text can be typed. Do the brightness keys (up/down arrow) work?

The first thing I would do is go to the Device Manager and then the keyboard section and update the driver if it will allow you to. Select the option to "Browse my Computer Computer for Drivers" 

Most likely, something is broken in the keyboard. You can purchase a new one from e-Bay for a reasonable price. Installation is not difficult.

XPS M1530, Windows 8.1.1 Pro 32-bit
    Inspiron E1705, Windows 8.1.1 Pro 32-bit
    Dimension 9100, Windows 8.1.1 Pro 32 bit
    Inspiron 660, Windows 8.1.1 Home - 64 bit
    Compaq DX 4370G, Windows 8.1.1 Home - 64 bit
    Asus T100 Tablet, Windows 8.1.1 Home - 32 bit