Can I upgrade my Dell Inspiron 1520 Windows Vista 32bit to Windows 7 64 bit?

Laptop

Laptop
Laptop computer Forums (Audio, General Hardware, Video)

Can I upgrade my Dell Inspiron 1520 Windows Vista 32bit to Windows 7 64 bit?

This question is not answered

As the topic says can I do this with these present hardware:

Intel® Core™2 Duo Processor T7300 (4M Cache, 2.00 GHz, 800 MHz FSB)

Ram 3GB

NVIDIA Geforce 8600M GT 256MB / 512MB

I'd be very grateful for your respondes and tips

/Filip

All Replies
  • Upgrade, no - you must do a clean install (but you can use the upgrade VERSION of 7).  You cannot upgrade 32-bit WIndows to 64-bit in place.

That said, with 3G of RAM, stick with the 32-bit version - there's no advantage to the 64-bit.

• So in other words I would have to buy the full version of 64 bit to get such an upgrade. And of course I will upgrade my ram memory with the purchase of Windows 7

• No, re-read what I wrote - you CAN use the upgrade version of Windows, but you CANNOT do an in-place upgrade.  You must clean-install when changing to a 64-bit version of Windows from 32-bit.  You then copy or migrate your data back to the system, but you will need to reload all your programs and install all your devices such as  printers thereafter.

To do a true upgrade you can - but will need the 32-bit version of 7.  Then you can install over what you have.

Yes, you will want 4G minimum for 64-bit Windows - but make sure all your other hardware has 64-bit drivers, or you may be in for an expensive round of buying new hardware such as printers, scanners, cameras, etc.

• Just to calrify what you actualy have said here. I can buy the Upgrade version of Windows 7 64 bit and do a Clean Install with it as in wipe my entire computer?

If thats the case thats what i was thinking that I would have to do already mate.

And of course all my hardware works with 64-bit, as I already have one with it but wish to upgrade this as well.

Thanks for your answears!