Hard drive issue - error message

Laptop

Laptop
Laptop computer Forums (Audio, General Hardware, Video)

Hard drive issue - error message

This question is not answered

Hi,

I have a Dell Inspiron 1545 laptop, which unfortunately fell out of my rucksack while I was transporting it and caused some damage hitting the concrete ground.

It runs windows 7, and now when it starts up the error message "Windows detected a hard disk problem. Back up your files immediately" appears. It also is running very slow, such as when I click on anything (the timer will appear and be generally unresponsive). Also I can't connect to my wireless network anymore but I don't know if this is a related issue or not.

Another message that appeared once or twice said the hard drive needed to be reseated, so I unscrewed it and reinserted it but this did not solve the problem.

Would anyone be able to offer some advice as to what the problem may be exactly, how I could resolve it, if it should be checked in for professional repair, and if so where is the best place for this and how much it is likely to cost?

Thanks very much for the help, I appreciate any advice offered.

ak525

All Replies
  • You can confirm the drive failure with the Dell diagnostics (F12 at powerup - run the extended diags, not just the 10-minute one).

The hard drive should be replaced - it is easily installed and will cost well under $100.

http://support.dell.com/support/edocs/systems/ins1545/en/SM/hdd.htm#wp1109848